WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. cleaning Sawyer Squeeze filter

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    If you've clogged the filter with debris and sediment, it helps to lightly tap the bottom of the filter against a rock or surface a few times before each backflush. You'd be surprised at how much debris will get flushed out that would otherwise still be in there.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fist Solo Overnight

Just trying to think back on some recent-ish hikes to document before I forget a lot of the details. I am working on section hiking Georgia this year.

End of July 2016

I gathered up the courage to try a solo trip, in hopes that my fiancé at the time would join me on the weekend when he was off work. I drove the 3 hours or so North from Augusta to Blairsville, GA to pick up where my friend and I left off the previous month at Neel's Gap. It was particularly dry on this ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Book research...including Inchworm info.

Quote Originally Posted by piscatore View Post
    Hello.
    I'm an author finishing up a book about the AT, the Maine Warden Service, the SAR community, and Gerry Largay's (Inchworm) ordeal. The book will celebrate her life, and her will to pursue her dream--and her courage and grace.
    Not looking for thoughts about mistakes or second-guessing, but rather if any of you spent time with her on the trail in 2013 and want to share anecdotes, or have something constructive to add, that would be wonderful.

You may email my through
    Tags: research Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. West Virginia AT Complete!

After completing the Maryland portion of the Appalachian Trail, I decided to go ahead and finish off West Virginia. I thought I was going to do it over three days, staying at the David Lesser Shelter and then further South at one of the campsites on the way to Snickers Gap. I got a very late start on Saturday, starting the hike after a great dinner at Harpers Ferry. I left at 6:15 PM from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. It was dank and misty from
  5. First Backpacking Experience Part II

Ok so I left off at the Hiker Hostel. Let me tell you. This hostel is nice! It's a log cabin in the mountains, 3 levels, with a great rocking chair porch in the front and a grilling/firepit/swing deck in the back. There's a chicken coop and few of those tiny homes that they rent out. There are some private rooms inside along with two (that I saw) 4-person bunk rooms. You get linens/towel and they had a huge collection of hiker boxes full of free stuff people have ditched along the way. There's a ...
Page 57 of 596 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 107 157 557 ... LastLast