View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Gday from the Blue Mountains, Aus!

Hi, my name is Lou; trail name: Booknboot. I hail from the Blue Mountains just out of Sydney. My flight leaves Australia in 11 days and my A.T. hike starts in just over two weeks. I think I have pretty much everything I need, though I may pick up some snow-related gear on arrival in the U.S. I'm getting pretty psyched about this little stroll I'm going on...

I'll be blogging about my hike at www.booknboot.com

Can't wait to meet the community of hikers out there on the trail! ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. All Systems Go

Checked with my buddy John who is joining me for the first 11 days. He confirmed he’s ready to go, rain or shine. Barring any last minute unexpected situations for either of us — we’re now in “all systems go” mode for 3/1.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. UPS vs USPS

I expect there are lots of opinions on food drop options out there. I just thought I'd share what I found out yesterday about UPS vs USPS. The gentleman at the Mail and Copy store told me that if you raise a concern about a missing UPS package they start looking for it immediately and get it resolved within days, whereas a USPS package can take up to 30 day to resolve. I'm thinking I don't have wiggle room in my schedule for that kind of malarkey so I'm sending UPS packages 10 days early and then ...
  4. Adapting to Limitations

Right now, I'm 7 days away from my marriage date, and 69 days from my flight to the states. Preparation continues as planned - amassing grains, testing recipes, dehydrating fruits, exercising, testing gear.

One of my planning considerations is the state of my body. I had a rough and tumble autumn, the culmination of a pretty adventurous summer playing in the Alps. I trained up for a marathon in seven weeks, ran that marathon on 20 September, then, at the urging of a friend, ran a second ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 17

"Travis McGee's still in Cedar Key
    That's what John MacDonald said
    My rendezvous so long overdue
    With all of the things I've sung and I've read
    They still apply to me, they'll all make sense in time

But now I'm incommunicado
    Driving by myself down the road with a hole in it
    Songs with no bravado
    Takin' the long way home" - J. Buffett

It's time for me too to be incommunicado. I've got my gear together. There are a couple

Updated 02-18-2016 at 17:14 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 55 of 565 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 155 555 ... LastLast