WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. UPS vs USPS

I expect there are lots of opinions on food drop options out there. I just thought I'd share what I found out yesterday about UPS vs USPS. The gentleman at the Mail and Copy store told me that if you raise a concern about a missing UPS package they start looking for it immediately and get it resolved within days, whereas a USPS package can take up to 30 day to resolve. I'm thinking I don't have wiggle room in my schedule for that kind of malarkey so I'm sending UPS packages 10 days early and then ...
  2. Adapting to Limitations

Right now, I'm 7 days away from my marriage date, and 69 days from my flight to the states. Preparation continues as planned - amassing grains, testing recipes, dehydrating fruits, exercising, testing gear.

One of my planning considerations is the state of my body. I had a rough and tumble autumn, the culmination of a pretty adventurous summer playing in the Alps. I trained up for a marathon in seven weeks, ran that marathon on 20 September, then, at the urging of a friend, ran a second ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 2 months until launch off!

Height: 5"8
    Pulse(standing): 69bpm
    Blood Pressure (sitting): 112/70
    Weight: 159 lbs
    Body Mass Index: 24.2
    Body Surface Area: 1.85 m2

Lifestyle habits leading up to this day -
    Worked 36-52 hours a week. Work days meant sitting for about 13 hours, driving about 2 hours, and sleeping 6-8 hours. No exercise whatsoever. Typically did light indoor rock climbing for 4-6 hours a week, ran less than 8 miles a week, and did maybe a handful of situps,
  4. Springer on the 27th.

Eight days ago my mom told me that either I have a job by the 27th, or I take her credit card, get the gear I need to replace the things that broke last year and be on the Appalachian Trail by then. So, completely unexpectedly, I find myself running around like a chicken with its head cut off (much like last year) trying to get everything set up for me to be able to leave my entire life (even my name) behind for 6 more months, all within 10 days. It’s surprisingly easier to say goodbye this year. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. I feel much better than expected

Oct 22, 2012

So, after a nice weekend with the grandkids, it is time to put the miles behind me. Last week I meet my goal of five (5) miles a day and this week my goal is seven (7) miles a day. What surprises me most is how well things are falling into place. For the last few years my energy level has been almost none existent and just after a few days of getting my fat self up and out I feel much better than expected. Only compliant would have to be my feet are having a rough time ...

Updated 10-22-2012 at 13:52 by Sman

Categories
    From Plump and Sluggish to Slim and Swift
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast