WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Thru hiking in March.....

I'm from Central FL, anyone else around here going too be leaving in March for a thru hike northbound?! I'd love to meet some new people around me that are like minded. I live in Davenport FL. Let me know if you are close to me and maybe we can meet up sometime. I just moved back to FL from MI a few months ago.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Latest Update

My experience as a hiker has grown a bit since my initial TN hike and my gear has evolved as well. I've joined a local hiker club, met some wonderful hiking partners here on this site (WB) and somehow managed to get my husband interested in joining me on the trail (his idea of camping use to be a night in a Marriott). In September I went to GA to do a section hike with a WB friend and we went from Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap. Not far, but she was having some knee pain ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Nobember traffic in Georgia

I am considering a short hike from Springer to Mountain Crossing and then back to Springer. Just wondering how much hiker traffic will be going on Mid to Late November. I guess there will be the South bounders finishing up. Should I start further North to avoid the influx of SB. Will the shelters be empty
    I've been wondering what to expect as far as freezing temperatures during this time of year. Not too cold yet? I think water will be no problem.
    Any chatter from the hiking ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Give me some Ideas!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinersLettuce View Post
    I would like to know how to stay dry in the rain - myself and my gear. I recently hiked in the rain near Springer Mt. (just before Joachim hit.) I had a light pack, a North Face coated nylon raincoat with pit zips, and I found the coat too hot to wear - I was more wet with sweat than with rain. I ended up hiking with no coat and letting it rain on me. I wore a baseball cap which worked well at keeping the rain off my glasses. I saw other people with plastic ponchos, but they were also wet from sweat
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Boots, Shoes or Trail Runners, That is the question.

At 6'5" and 275lbs planning on a 30lb pack fully loaded for a 2016 Thru Hike. Research is saying a heavier piece of footwear but I am worried about tired legs from heavy shoes. Any advice?
    Categories
    Uncategorized