WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Working on success for 2013 hike

Questioning my resolve

Rate this Entry
18 December 2012

Just got my five miles walk in today and stopped to chat with a good friend, her thoughts are in line with my wife’s. They both think I am out of my mind to even want to hike the Appalachian Trail and they both have reservations that I will be able to complete the trail. Not because I am not prepared, I have the gear, the time, and the money; but they question my resolve. Rightly so I guess, if you knew me, you would know I enjoy my family, being on thetrail for five months is going to cause me to miss a lot of birthdays and family time. Without question I will miss my wife, kids and grandkids; however I have been gone for many months before while in the Marines, however, not by choice. That being said I feel my desire to hike this trail for the past 15 or 20 years will give me that determination to finish.

Comments

Congrats on the weight loss, keep it going.

Those that dont feel the call of long trail hiking, just dont understand.

The only thing you need to get you all the way, is between your ears.
    A thru hike is just smaller hikes all strung close together. Take it one piece at a time.
    It is as much a mental challenge, as a physical one.
    Expect to lose the desire from time to time. Thats what deprivation and pain does
    Just need to keep remind yourself WHY you wanted it in the first place.
    Thanks. I hear alot of people talk about the mental part of the hike. I will keep the WHY I am hiking in the back of my mind when I feel like throwing in the towel.
    The thought of quit frightens me.
    Why not just start hiking and go as far as you can. Why put pressure on yourself to finish to prove a point. If you are not enjoying it, then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman
    Why not just start hiking and go as far as you can. Why put pressure on yourself to finish to prove a point. If you are not enjoying it, then what?
    Why not just go as far as I can and quit. Well the best answer I have is when I joined the Marines I wanted to be a Marine and that meant going through eleven weeks of training. During that eleven weeks there were trials were some did quit and today they will never know how It feels theday United States Marine was earned. Is walking 2000 plus miles equal to becoming a Marine most likely not, but we are not talking about just walking weare talking about being away from those we love and going thru hardships for no good reason other than to reach a goal only a few can comprehend. How I’m I going to know if I quit or at least not giving it my best effort?
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this to you, but I read Appalachian Trials - it's a great book that will help you be aware of what you need to do to prepare mentally. It's a very short book and has some tips to help you. My husband and I will be starting our thru hike March 2nd and I am taking parts of the book with me, as missing my family will also be a huge hurdle. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by ComptonAT
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this to you, but I read Appalachian Trials - it's a great book that will help you be aware of what you need to do to prepare mentally. It's a very short book and has some tips to help you. My husband and I will be starting our thru hike March 2nd and I am taking parts of the book with me, as missing my family will also be a huge hurdle. Good luck!
    Thank you for the suggestion I have read many books about the trail. My wife is letting me go but she is not happy with it at all this is what makes the whole trip so hard. Wish there were a book that could help her understand the passion I feel for this hike.