WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. The best hike ever !!!

Our Pen Mar to Pine Grove Forest SP section was the best hiking experience we've had so far, thanks mostly to the advice, efforts and hospitality of PATC Ridgerunner, '98 Thru-hiker and overall indefatiguable AT enthusiast Bob "Junker" Freeman!

Our original plan of hiking the 38 miles in 8 low-mileage, pack-laden days was converted to a 5-day, pack-free, lively slack-packin' stroll through the ridges and rocks with our evenings at a lovely pool and our nights in the cozy ...

Updated 06-24-2013 at 18:33 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Rainy week south of Duncannon

My one-week vacation on the AT this year covered the 100 miles from the footbridge over I-70 in Maryland to Duncannon, Pennsylvania, with nights at Raven Rock, Tumbling Run and Birch Run Shelters, the Holly Inn in Mt. Holly Springs, the Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs, and the Darlington Shelter. Notable hikers along the way included TrebbleG, Bonsai, Kalamity Jane, Fatty, Crazy Horse,Gypsy and Hancock, Packman, Shellock, Stoney, Oboe Hobo (hiking South with his 13.5 year old dog Gurdy), Amos ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Not surprising

If it's not surprising that we look to the sky for our gods. There seems little mystery to me that warriors of the past Bellow thier war cries to the air into the sky. When I think of the emotional shift from when a grey sky turns blue, or the rush at the first crack of thunder and the awe of splitting lightning. Some of our cowed by these things, what others feel their own battle cry well in their chest. That cry that Welling of passion and determination, that feeling that I will not be dominated. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Trail update - June 5th - Reds Meadow Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Star View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by i_Hike View Post
    JMT Kearsarge Pass Junction - 10760 ft
    Top of Kearsarge Pass - 11760 ft
    Onion Valley - about 9000 ft
    Independence - about 5000 ft
    We hitched down here. Very easy. You do not want to walk. Yes, MT Williamson charges $40. But you can see why when you see road.
    And don't be fooled. 7.5 miles to Onion Valley in not all downhill... 3.5 miles up to the pass, and then 4 miles down hill. I would avoid resupply here if you can. From the JMT we are only about 35 miles to top
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My keynote speech about the Appalachian Trail, and good lies