WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Day 26: Highest Point on the AT!

Started to snow! before I even left the shelter this morning. It kind of fluttered between snow, freezing rain and hail all morning. Wasn’t too bad, but I’m definitely glad I had my cold weather gear and rain jacket. I’m a happy camper as long as I’m dry and warm. Sun came out right at lunch time which was perfect since I was getting to Clingman’s Dome this afternoon. It’s the highest point on the AT and the 200 mile mark. Geez, feels like I just hit 100 miles. Got some amazing views from Clingmans ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 25: 2nd Half Struggle

Slept warm enough last night. Chilly morning but it was nice not to have to put up my tent. First 6 miles today was a breeze. The next 6 miles was a different story. The climbs weren’t long, but they were pretty steep with no switchbacks. Still made it to Derrick Knobs Shelter at a good time. Did my chores, ate, and got in my sleeping bag for the night. It’s just too cold to be socializing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	370BC8A7-F602-410A-960C-976855877CBE.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	47834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A17E3189-F0B4-44AE-AF8B-6DD2130F1E62.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	47837
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 24: Entering the Smokies

Here we go. Got started shortly after 8am. Had a couple miles to get through Fontana Dam and then it was a 4 mile ascent right off the bat into the Smokies. I’ve noticed my energy depleting the last couple days, so today I’m going to eat proactively every hour and half. I have been just waiting till I’m hungry but I know by then it’s too late. I definitely felt better today on the ascent. No bear sightings so far. I can definitely see why people like the Smokies. It is beautiful. Made it the 13 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 23: Mentally Preparing for the Smokies

Taking a zero today to rest up for the Smokies. And it will be a real zero with no where to go. Resupply, laundry are already done. I know taking 3 nights at the Hike Inn seems like a bit much, but the Smokies have been intimidating me. Partially because it seems like a tunnel with the only mid way exit being Gatlinburg. That’s more restricting than what I’ve seen so far. Secondly, the bear encounters. Crosby Knob Shelter is closed because a bear got in a guys tent and stole his pack. Most likely ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Apple Orchard Falls, Guillotine, Thunder Hill Shelter, and "The Guardian Frog"

This was an outstanding hike. The parking at Sunset Field on the Blue Ridge Parkway is quite large, but also popular. Despite it being foggy, it was very crowded. The hike down to the falls is about 1.3 miles and well worth the descent down ~147 stars near the bottom. The falls are extremely tall and beautiful. You can walk right up to the base of them. There is an upper cascade a couple tenths of a mile before the platform at the end that is also ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 21 of 596 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 121 521 ... LastLast