WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Decided on a date (unofficially)

I've unofficially made an official date to step out on the trail: Monday, March 21, 2016. I've also put in for a leave of absence at work, with my last day officially being Thursday, February 25, 2016. That's 54 days to the end of work and 79 days until I leave Springer Mountain.

Everything is happening more quickly now. I'm not ready yet. I don't have all of the gear that I'm going to need. Got some things for Christmas but will have to return some things due to weight restrictions ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 5

It's New Year's Eve December 31, 2015...I am going to make one resolution for 2016 that I will do my best to follow through with.

" Blow up your TV throw away your paper
    Go to the country, build you a home
    Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
    Try to find Jesus on your own..."

Lately. I had those words of the John Prine song "Spanish Pipedream" on my mind. The song about a soldier who meets a topless dancer on his way to Canada ...

Updated 12-31-2015 at 10:40 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Grayson Highlands and Mount Rogers Hike

This was stuck in my drafts from 12 October 2015, finally learning how to use this blog better and released it.
    Weekend hike from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to Mount Rogers. It was rainy and very soggy on the hike up on the 1st day. Things cleared out great for the second day and the views were spectacular. We hiked mostly on the Appalachian Trail and stayed overnight in a tent next to the Thomas Knob shelter. The shelter

Updated 12-30-2015 at 16:41 by Kaptainkriz

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Bulin BL3000-F2 lightweight portable lantern

This is a review of the Bulin BL3000-F2 lightweight portable lantern. In the box is the lantern with a removable 18” hanging chain, an adapter for butane canister to lindal valve (camp gas canister), three mantles, and a small plastic storage box. It’s a great little lantern with a metal globe that won’t break like the more common glass globes. It weighs 149g with the chain, which seemed a bit heavy (17g), so I removed it. The lantern itself weighs ...

Updated 04-10-2016 at 21:28 by Kaptainkriz

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 4

When John Muir made his way to Cedar Key he was overwhelmed by the the heat and humidity. The abundant mosquitoes gave him malaria which nearly ended his life. Crumpled in a doorway delirious with fever he was mistaken for a homeless, drunkard. The night watchman who found him ignored his pleas for help and abandoned him near death. Fortunately, Muir had made the acquaintance of a kindly sawmill owner named Hodgson who, after hearing of Muir in need went to his aid. Hence, in 1867 Hodgson became ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 94 of 596 FirstFirst ... 44 84 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 104 144 194 594 ... LastLast