WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. SOBO Gear List Help...

Quote Originally Posted by morri50n View Post
    I don't know if I'm planning too early or not, but I'm trying to figure out my gear list to start a SOBO thru-hike around June 1, 2014 (solo female). So far this is what I have... (weight is in oz)

Shelter: Tarptent Rainbow (34 oz)
    Pack: LL Bean Women's AT 55 (50 oz)
    Bag: Western Mountaineering Ultralite (38 oz)
    Pad: ThermaRest RidgeRest-Small (9oz)

COOKING/WATER
    Fancy Feast Stove .2
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 10

Lately, my pal Lefty is doing much better. We spent the MLK three day weekend together in the woods near Chattahoochee, Florida. His back is doing tons better and he was even able to put in a few miles on the trail. To say we had a large time would be an understatement. Even though I was diligent and put in quite a few miles walking on the trails at Torreya SP, I did succumb to the pressure to cut loose and broke training one night. The lure of good bourbon and fine cigars around a warm, vibrant ...

Updated 01-26-2016 at 14:41 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Those who fail to plan ... plan to fail

Admittedly I'm a dyed in the wool overplanner. In my defense, I'm cutting the imaginary contingencies down to the 90+% liklies.

SHELTER - new hammock, fly, paracord, stakes, etc - I set it up yesterday for the first time and discovered you need a tree you can "hug" because throwing cord AROUND a huge tree deserves a clip on "America's Funniest Home Videos"

WATER - filter, camelback and poly canteen - tried out in the kitchen sink, seems doable
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 9

Our crude civilization engenders a multitude of wants, and law-givers are ever at their wits' end devising. The hall and the theater and the church have been invented, and compulsory education. Why not add compulsory recreation? ... Our forefathers forged chains of duty and habit, which bind us notwithstanding our boasted freedom, and we ourselves in desperation add link to link, groaning and making medicinal laws for relief. Yet few think of pure rest or of the healing power of Nature. - John Muir ...

Updated 01-24-2016 at 12:57 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 8

Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.
    John Muir

It was 1867 when John Muir completed his thousand mile walk to the Gulf in Cedar Key one hundred forty nine years ago. His success was not a foregone conclusion. He did not have benefit of the counsel of others who had gone before him or less burdensome gear to carry. Nothing was light. It was cast iron pans, hemp rope, and sail ...

Updated 01-26-2016 at 09:44 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 92 of 596 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 142 192 592 ... LastLast