WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Happy Easter

If there were any bunnies around, they were frozen! I hikes 7.6 miles down Cold Spring Shelter. First one there. Blisters are working over time so I call it a day. From there till dark, it was like a bus unloading -- shelter filled up as well as every possible campsite.

Up early because it is 12 miles to the N.O.C. Downhill all the way! But a brutal downhill and I make it and it is the most beautiful spot I have seen so far on the AT. Hostels are full, but I get a bed at a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Ron's Haven

Up early and hiked 3.5 miles to Rock Gap just as Ron Haven from Franklin, NC pulls in with his free shuttle. A real character. He shuttles hikers, gives them info., works with churches to provide free breakfast to hikers, and gives you a decent room at a decent price...out of the kindness of his heart! A night's rest, shower, and laundry does a man good!

Left Franklin after a free pancake breakfast at the local Baptist Church. Met trail angels with candy and fruit. (About Trail ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Flip Flop Class of 2015 Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
    Update! Four day hike turn into two!

Well, some lessons learned, here:

1) Don't trust the weather man! Highs in the 70s, NOT! Lows in the 60s, NO! The rain brought in cooler temp on Tuesday. The hollow where camp 6 was located dropped into the 40s Tuesday night after the rain ended. The skies cleared (not predicted), the moon came out, and temp plummeted past what I was prepared for. How could they be 20 degrees off?! My light summer sleeping bag was inadequate, even with
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Would this be considered a thru-hike?

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    A pushcart? Why don't you look at a Dixon Roller Pack DIXON it may be a lot easier than pushing anything. And as luck would have it if you think it will work for you, I just happen to know of one that could be available at a good price. BTW this trip sounds awesome!
    I've been using a pushcart. It is easy to push and I actually walk a bit faster while pushing it. The constraint is those two 78 mile days. Most people do it in two days. I haven't tested it, but I'd probably have to carry
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Wet Cold Day

From Dicks Creek Gap, I hiked 11.5 miles. Took me from Georgia into North Carolina. The trail wasn't easy. The last 3 miles were a very tough climb! This took me to Muscrat Creek Shelter. I awoke without rain for one of the few times.

Hiked 9.3 miles to Beach Gap and attended to my duct-taped toes. I awoke to no rain, again. That didn't last long, however, and it rained and rained.

I hiked 11.8 miles to Long Branch Shelter, one of the newer and nicest shelters ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized