WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. The Unknown Hiker is Jaws2006

I used the trailname of JAWS when I hiked in 2003 and 2006. Decided to change the name to The Unknown Hiker for my 2008 NOBO thru-hike.

You can find positings on WB under Jaws2006, but I will now primarily post under the name The Unknown Hiker.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Cherry Tree Shelter Iron Mtn

Does anyone know if the old Cherry Tree Shelter on the Iron Mountain Trail is still there? The last time I was there 5 yrs ago the tree was on it & it leaked. Also are there any shelters on the Iron Mtn trail south of Damascus? I have only done the section North of there
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day One - Sunday, part two

The shelter had 3 walls and the front was wide open. No windows and doors, just like as on a stage. Pretty neat. After the dinner and washed up, we hit our sacks.. The storm went over and a lot of lightnings. I could not sleep because of these flashing lightnings and deep boom vibrations underneath the shelter. Went back to sleep until I was waking up by Trail Bum. He wanted to sleep inside the shelter bec his tent was wet & flooded..haha.. we made room for him to sleep. We slept good ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day One - Sunday

Got up real early in the morning. Lucky Toes (Bev), Trail Bum (Russ)& I met Best Day Ever (Doug) at the certain place. We hopped into Trail Bum's car. We headed toward to Amicalola Falls where we would start our trek. The trail is Southern Terminus Approach Trail toward the Springer Mountain where the AT actually started. The trail is called the Gateway to the AT.

The weather was warm but humid and the temp was around high 70's to low 80's. Expected the thunderstorms tonight. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Why we do it, why she does it

Well, my wife surprised me and told me she does want to hike overnight. After all the fussing about bears, bugs, and no showers and facilities, I guess she would rather put up with all that rather than worrying about me being out there by myself. Hopefully she will get the hiking bug and see why I enjoy it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized