WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

mountain squid

1. addendum to nice day for maintenance

Once again to Spivey Gap. Last Fri we made another trip to our furthest access point. As before, there were several groups, each with different missions.

My mission sent me back to No Business Knob shelter with Jim. We delivered a shovel, broom and the Shelter Log. The fire ring was a mess, filled with years worth of ashes and dirt. In fact the fire ring was actually non-existent. The rocks had been scattered leaving just a pile of ashes and dirt. The shovel was about to be useful.

Updated 01-23-2012 at 08:41 by mountain squid

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. nice day for maintenance, part 2

While the day started off rather cold (in the 20s), it warmed up quickly. The sun was out and doing its best to melt some of the snow. However, the snow that hadn't melted already, appeared to be tucked away in areas that don't receive direct sunlight. No matter, a little snow never stopped us before.

Assignments and tools were handed out. We were splitting into 2 crews at Spivey Gap. One crew was going in here after some blow downs. They took the chainsaw with them. Shucks . . . I
  3. nice day for maintenance, part 1

Yesterday was our first maintenance trip of the year and it started off as usual . . . with a trip to the liquor store. The liquor store is one of our carpool meeting places. I don't always have to meet there, it just depends on where our maintenance for the day is. When I do go there, I like to get there a few minutes early. There is just nothing like starting the maintenance day off with something that comes wrapped in a brown paper bag and I was pretty sure that a chainsaw was going to be needed ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. nice day for a hike

Starting the new year off with a hike. Nothing fantastic, just a short day-hike through the woods. The trailhead is only 10 miles away, so it was quick and easy to get there (yeah - it's nice living close to the trail). I hiked from Cross Mountain Rd to Double Springs Shelter. It was a rather uneventful 6 mi roundtrip . . .

No sooner had I started off that I felt some rain drops. I thought that I might need my waterproof hat. I turned around to look at my truck and realized that
    Categories
    Uncategorized