WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Day 8: Takin It Easy

Had a great sleep last night. Woke up warm and cozy. Only 7.3 miles today, so no rush. The first 5 miles was a gradual uphill which was great on my knee. Ran into Justin again on trail. He is wearing his grandfathers WW2 uniform and pack. When I meet him at Neels Gap he would only talk to me in riddles, so haven’t gotten much of his story yet. Made it to Blue Mountain Shelter around 3pm and set up my tent. Got my first 🔥 of the trip. I love the smell of a burning wood fire. It’s suppose ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 7: Back At It

Had another great breakfast this morning. Can’t thank Bonnie and Paul enough for there hospitality. Paul shuttled Papa Bear and I back to Neels Gap and I was back on trail by 9:30am. Started off feeling really good. Pack was well positioned, it’s nice weather, and my knee was feeling good. On the descent into Tesnatee Gap my knee started to hurt, but not as bad as it did on blood mountain. Thankfully, I had my first run in with Trail Angels. They had burgers, lemonade, brownies and more. They were ...

Updated 03-30-2021 at 16:30 by aklarsen11

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 6: First Zero

Woke up in a real bed. Yay! Had an absolutely delicious breakfast. Just took it nice and easy today. Resting and icing my knee. Applied KT tape and that really seems to help, but we will find out tomorrow. Have 11.5 miles tomorrow to get to Low Gap Shelter. My biggest day yet. Wish me luck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACA73710-536B-4808-B8A7-93FA55729E65.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	47612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	176BB6CC-A3B4-462D-A519-720FF31A3755.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	47613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C02FFA4E-1893-4CB4-ADD6-4EE96CF0692E.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	47614

Updated 03-30-2021 at 16:21 by aklarsen11

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 5: No Pain No Maine

Woke up bright and early just before 5am. Luckily now rain. Sun doesn’t come up until 7:30am, so got my first experience with night hiking. It wasn’t too bad (don’t see why people like it) and I was in a group of 7, so safety in numbers. Neat thing was we heard a very loud owl 🦉. Thankfully the rain never came in as expected, which was good because Blood Mountain descent was a killer. My right knee started hurting during the last descent yesterday and every step down Blood Mountain was painful. ...

Updated 03-30-2021 at 16:18 by aklarsen11

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Day 4: Nothing but Sunshine

Storm really hit after midnight but we were good in the shelter. Lot of lighting, thunder and rain but thankfully no wind. Some of the group got up at 6 am, so I had to get up. I definitely prefer my tent but the shelter wasn’t too bad. I was glad I decided to stick it out because it was an absolutely beautiful day. Sun was out ☀️. For lunch I took a long break at Woody Gap and let my wet tent and rain gear dry out. Made it into camp around 3pm. Should be a nice night. The plan is to ...

Updated 03-30-2021 at 16:09 by aklarsen11

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast