WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Day 27: First Hitch

Woke up and got moving early this morning. Nothing like the promise of a warm bed and real food to get me going. Thankfully Sourdough started a fire this morning, so I was able to keep warm as I packed up. Only 5 miles today to Newfound Gap where I can get a ride into Gatlinburg. It’s a popular tourist spot, so it’s suppose to be an easy hitch. Got a ride from a young couple that hikes, so they didn’t think we were dangerous. Lol. Unfortunately, they only took us to the welcome center, so we still ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 26: Highest Point on the AT!

Started to snow! before I even left the shelter this morning. It kind of fluttered between snow, freezing rain and hail all morning. Wasn’t too bad, but I’m definitely glad I had my cold weather gear and rain jacket. I’m a happy camper as long as I’m dry and warm. Sun came out right at lunch time which was perfect since I was getting to Clingman’s Dome this afternoon. It’s the highest point on the AT and the 200 mile mark. Geez, feels like I just hit 100 miles. Got some amazing views from Clingmans ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 25: 2nd Half Struggle

Slept warm enough last night. Chilly morning but it was nice not to have to put up my tent. First 6 miles today was a breeze. The next 6 miles was a different story. The climbs weren’t long, but they were pretty steep with no switchbacks. Still made it to Derrick Knobs Shelter at a good time. Did my chores, ate, and got in my sleeping bag for the night. It’s just too cold to be socializing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	370BC8A7-F602-410A-960C-976855877CBE.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	47834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A17E3189-F0B4-44AE-AF8B-6DD2130F1E62.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	47837
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 24: Entering the Smokies

Here we go. Got started shortly after 8am. Had a couple miles to get through Fontana Dam and then it was a 4 mile ascent right off the bat into the Smokies. I’ve noticed my energy depleting the last couple days, so today I’m going to eat proactively every hour and half. I have been just waiting till I’m hungry but I know by then it’s too late. I definitely felt better today on the ascent. No bear sightings so far. I can definitely see why people like the Smokies. It is beautiful. Made it the 13 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Day 23: Mentally Preparing for the Smokies

Taking a zero today to rest up for the Smokies. And it will be a real zero with no where to go. Resupply, laundry are already done. I know taking 3 nights at the Hike Inn seems like a bit much, but the Smokies have been intimidating me. Partially because it seems like a tunnel with the only mid way exit being Gatlinburg. That’s more restricting than what I’ve seen so far. Secondly, the bear encounters. Crosby Knob Shelter is closed because a bear got in a guys tent and stole his pack. Most likely ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast