WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Eucalyptus and Deet based products what you need to know to avoid getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Right off the EPA has made tremendous testing and its not hard to read their website and I quote Deet is a Repellent.

Benefits of DEET products
    DEET's most significant benefit is its ability to repel potentially disease-carrying insects and ticks. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) receives more than 20,000 reports of Lyme disease (transmitted by deer ticks) and 100 reports of encephalitis (transmitted by mosquitoes) annually. Both of
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A Wonderful Day….Part 2

Snacktime, Coach, Oz and I continued with the next phase of the plan…to drop off Coach’s car at the Dartmouth Skiway lot, toward which the entire group would be hiking for the next 2 days. It was about a 20 mile trek from Hanover, but roughly 12 miles from Etna/Hanover Rd trailhead where were leaving Coach and Oz. It took us about an hour to find our way out to the Skiway, park the car, hit the general store in Lyme for ice (for our trail magic cooler) and snacks, then locate the trailhead

Updated 08-08-2013 at 12:21 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A Wonderful Day....Part 1

On Saturday, Snacktime and I got up well before the crack of dawn and headed to Hanover, NH to meet up with Coach Lou, Army Ant, OzJacko, Invisible Man and Rolling Rs. After a 3hr drive, with a respectable amount of fog and rain in the mountains northwest of Concord, we arrived at 7:30am to find the Silly Walkers hanging out on the balcony of the Lebanon Days Inn, waving us in and out of the rain. Greetings and handshakes were exchanged, photos were taken, and Snacktime's bags were handed out and

Updated 08-07-2013 at 21:07 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Trail Link

Just finished my fourth summer of section hikes. Started this year in June at Roan Mt., TN, and finished up in Pearisburg, VA. Have it all at my trail blog - Appalachian Trail Adventures.

http://tbmmoe.blogspot.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Newbie planning questions

Quote Originally Posted by verysimple View Post
    Great forum here, lots of useful info.

My plan: Hike full length of JMT in September 2014 (most people summer vacations will be over and it should be less busy, fewer bugs, etc)
    My planning questions:
    1) How much cash should one bring along?
    2) Bathroom needs - does one need a trowel to bring along? Is it legal to bury away tp/wipes? Or plenty of restrooms are available long the way (doubtful)?
    3) 20/30 degree Sleeping bags - plan to take one along, wouldn't
    Categories
    Uncategorized