WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

People's Republic of Walk, by Ink

I am Ink. I am flip-flop hiking from GA to WV starting March 10 while awaiting news on my grad school applications. I completed WV to ME in '09. Read about my hike on my blog, People's Republic of Walk.

1. Hiawasssssss....e

[New PRW posts]

Two nights ago, I camped out in a gorge ringed by a USFS service road, out of the wind and just six miles from Dicks Creek Gap. It was just me and a couple and their dog.

They stayed in their tent while I, after arriving in the evening on the back of a 13.4-mile trek, went about the series of necessary camp tasks that comes with hiking the AT: Get water, hang line for bear bag, change some clothes, set up tent and set up camp stove. Then make dinner, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wednesday notes: Heading to the ATC, "A Walk in the Woods" etc.

[New PRW post]

I'm a member at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, so I'm off to Harper's Ferry this morning to get the maps for Georgia through southwest Virginia at a discount. I'm also going to ask the assistant on duty what weather I can expect in Georgia.

I've got my Irish drinking songs playlist ready on my iPod - The Pogues, Flogging Molly, The Clancy Brothers, The Young Dubliners and Dropkick Murphys- for March 17. It's something to look forward to. And fyi, Irish/Scottish ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Ranking AT memoirs/fiction

I started this thread because I'm interested in getting kind of a summary review of all the thru-hiking memoirs and novels out there.

I've only read a couple myself and I want to know what other people have enjoyed so I know which AT book I should spend my money on next.

So please, opine here on the literature of the trail you've come across.

Check Whiteblaze's links page for a link to media about the trail if you need to refresh your memory.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 1st Resupply ready

First resupply for Georgia? Check.

I just posted my first blog update [w/ photo @ the grocery store] from my new Droid at my blog, People's Republic of Walk.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Georgia on my mind

[new PRW post]

...and leaving on a night train to Georgia and all that. It's an inspiring state. For me, however, going to Georgia in 17 days will be my first trip to the Deep South since a week on Edisto Beach, SC in 2005, and my first time going to Georgia that didn't involve driving through or laying over at ATL.

I've got some loose ends to tie up at home and a few last gear essentials to get before packing for the hike. And then it's Week 1 on the trail: One foot in ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast