WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Free at last!

For the past eight years, I have worn a military uniform, but come 1 May, I am a free man bound for Washington, DC - and believe me, I'm counting the days. On my back, I will carry the gear that I have researched and acquired over the past calendar year. Within days of my arrival, I will start my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail.

I had planned to begin a traditional thru-hike starting in February or March, but things in the Army never pan out as anticipated - consequently, this delay ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 12

In spite of ourselves
    We'll end up a'sittin' on a rainbow
    Against all odds
    Honey, we're the big door prize
    We're gonna spite our noses
    Right off of our faces
    There won't be nothin' but big old hearts
    Dancin' in our eyes. - John Prine w/ Iris DeMent

The weekend's hike on the Florida Trail was great. We accomplished all of our AT training goals and my wife got her trail name. Henceforth, until the end of time, she will be know as "Calamity ...

Updated 02-01-2016 at 12:33 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Date Decision

I have officially decided to start my thru-hike at the Approach Trail on Wednesday, March 30. I am anticipating a six month hike, but I am planning to "hike my own hike" and not rush myself. I am feeling completely motivated and confident that I can finish this thru-hike successfully.
  4. Journal

Do to the lack of responses, I have moved my journal to appalachiantrailjournals.com.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 11

"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir

It's Friday afternoon I wearily drove back across the Number Four and onto Cedar Key. It is nice to be home. I rolled down my window and breathed in the scent given off by the mixture retreating salt water and the muddy bottom of the bayou. My two days with Lefty have just about worn me out. We had what could best be described as a "magnificent time."

Updated 02-01-2016 at 08:59 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 90 of 596 FirstFirst ... 40 80 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 100 140 190 590 ... LastLast