WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Day 31: Keep It Movin

I am very proud that I did not zero today and got back on trail. Today is an easy day, just under 10 miles to Groundhog Creek Shelter. Today was a beautiful day. Wore shorts and tshirt for most of the day. ☀️ Took it nice and easy which was good after the mental block of the Smokies. Now this shelter has a lot of comments about bears getting packs and food bags, but I assume there is safety in numbers. Several of the hikers I started the day with decided to stop there, so I stuck with ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Day 30: Leaving the Smokies

Today is another big mile day, but it’s mostly downhill. It started to snow a little just as I was leaving the shelter. Today is definitely a keep it moving day and try to get to lower altitude. I was hoping the weather would clear up but it continued to snow. Probably about 2 inches accumulated. I have never hiked in my puffy before because I would be too warm. Today I hiked in my puffy and raincoat the whole day. I was ok as long as I kept moving, but as soon as I stopped for a break it was unpleasant. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 29: Big Mile Day

Got up early this morning to make the 8:30am shuttle back to Newfound Gap, but as I was walking down the road a nice couple from Tyler, TX volunteered to give me a ride. Since the shuttle was for only the first 8 hikers I decided to take the hitch. Tried to take it nice and slow since I knew I had quite a few miles to do. I started to feel gassed around mile 5, but just kept eating and taking breaks. Pecks Shelter was at mile 10, but I had heard that it was .75 miles of trail and down a steep hill. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Day 28: Relax & Eat

Slept in this morning. Skipped breakfast since I was still so full from dinner yesterday. All I did was eat, get my resupply and watch tv. A nice relaxing day. Which will be needed since I need to push 15.7 miles tomorrow. 🤦*♀️
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53A99033-73F5-440E-B1F5-261F5DA1DA69.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	47876
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Day 27: First Hitch

Woke up and got moving early this morning. Nothing like the promise of a warm bed and real food to get me going. Thankfully Sourdough started a fire this morning, so I was able to keep warm as I packed up. Only 5 miles today to Newfound Gap where I can get a ride into Gatlinburg. It’s a popular tourist spot, so it’s suppose to be an easy hitch. Got a ride from a young couple that hikes, so they didn’t think we were dangerous. Lol. Unfortunately, they only took us to the welcome center, so we still ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 20 of 596 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 520 ... LastLast