WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Welcome to my blog

Our journey begins in a few days, on March 7th. If you don't know anything about thru hiking the Appalachian Trail, it is 2,190 miles long. A person can either start at Springer Mountain in Georgia or at Mt. Katahdin in Maine. Or any place in between, as long as you the complete the entire trail. There is no wrong way to start. We will be starting at Springer Mountain in Georgia. We anticipate that the trip will take us from 5 to 6 months or more.

Why thru hike the AT? Three people ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Test

Testing my journal post
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. I finish up PA hiking across Cumberland Valley to Boiling Springs

On this hike, I finally finished up PA! This section between Cove Mountain and Boiling Springs was completed as a number of day hikes and overnights. The 1st day, I slacked from the Parking at PA850 up Cove Mountain and back (10.5 miles). After that I drove over to the parking near Waggoners Gap just outside the Parking at Audubon Hawk Watch and hiked 0.9 miles South on the Tuscarora Trail to the Charlie Irvin Shelter for the night. It rained a little ...
  4. Rice Field Shelter – Pine Swamp Branch Shelter – Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven

Had an opportunity to go on another quick section. This time I went South to Pearisburg to hike up to the Rice Field Shelter. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while on a cool clear day to see the sunset. This trip did not disappoint! After a long drive down, I chose to stay overnight at Angels Rest Hiker’s Haven (hostel / campground). They were very well organized and the facilities were clean and the people there were awesome. I’d highly recommend ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Filling in a gap, and adding a few more miles

As my previous post from this year noted, I've been hampered in any attempt to get on The Trail in 2020. Still, last week I managed to (1) fill in a four-mile gap that I had previously let slip through and (2) get more miles within Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). Nothing major, even for me, but it was a few more miles.

Previous section hikes have ended at Greasy Creek Gap and begun at Iron Mountain Gap. That left 4.2 miles of the A.T. that I had left un-walked, and I ...
Page 31 of 596 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 131 531 ... LastLast