WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Trail conditions in CT and MA for the next 3weeks

Quote Originally Posted by tridavis View Post
    Thanks for the info. My group is section hikers who have done the AT up to this section. Went thru the Smokies one November and we went from shorts and t-shirts to micro spikes and mittens in 3 days. But, we are wimping out, staying in a Airbnb in Lee, MA and dropping one car off at the end of the day's hike and driving to the start. Most of our days are in the 10-12 mile range. We have hiked thru part of Virginia in the snow and ice, but I am most concerned about the steep descents with ice on
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Jenkins Shelter to Brushy Top - Laurel Creek - Appalachian Trail Virginia

This was a quick overnight to complete some miles between Jenkins Shelter (AT Mile 580.5) and US Route 52 at Brushy Mountain Outpost (AT Mile 591.8). I parked at the big parking lot on VA615, Suiter Road / Laurel Creek in the Trail Boss Loop parking area (AT Mile 584.9). This is right on the AT and excellent parking. The trail North to Route 52 is pretty uneventful. Fortunately, there were a lot of mushrooms sprouting from all the wet weather and a few ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My vegvisir didn't seem to help!

For those asking the obvious question, “What the heck is a vegvisir?”, here’s your answer:
    https://mythologian.net/vegvisir-sym...runic-compass/
    Note the words in the article: “it is written that this symbol would help its wearer to not get lost.”

Although I’ve been fascinated by Viking explorers for almost sixty years, I had never heard of this talisman until our visit to Iceland earlier this summer. When I found I could get ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. AT Section Hike of GA complete!

Play List: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...l5QRN-rC39oVpA
    Just finished the AT in GA from Springer to Bly over the holiday week. Was very muggy and humid which made for a sweaty trip. Definitely worth it though…GA was far more beautiful than I anticipated. By the end of the week I even had a tramily, which I greatly miss right now. I tried daily videos, which went ok other than the uploading part, lol.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Old Orchard Shelter to Hurricane Mountain Shelter – Views at Scales

This was a wonderful hike to extend my AT section miles North from where we left off at the Scales Campground near Grayson Highlands last Fall. I parked at the Fox Creek trailhead parking on VA 603 and hiked South up past the Old Orchard Shelter and to where the trail meets the Pine Mountain Trail. I took a little time and enjoyed the fantastic views a little farther South and then returned North to the Old Orchard Shelter. It was very windy and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 596 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 501 ... LastLast