WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Start date

I will be boarding a Grayhound in Columbus on the 5th, April and heading as close to the trail as I can. Harrisburg Pa. is the closest place, maybe take a cab to start point from there. I have made some serious weight reductions to my pack and have presorted so many times that I cant think of anything else that can be done. I have the best gear that I can affort and lets just say that old school works just fine. Yeah it a bit heavier but it works and thats what counts.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Getting Started

Hey all, This is my basic introduction. I am not new to backpacking or hiking but I am new to the App. Ever since I was little and heard about the trail I have always wanted to do any part of it. Sometimes life gets in the way of dreams and now that I am 45 its time to live it. The oppourtunity has presented itself and I'm going. Dont care how long it takes or where I end up.
    My plan is to start in Central Penn. and head south to Springer Mountain. Who knows I may even end up doing the flip ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 01 April 2010

01 April 2010, Franklin
    I ran into thru hiking couple from Maine yesterday, it is such a small world. This couple lives on the same street in Brunswick that I grew up on. They live two doors down from the house on Magean Street. Their names are Jim and Elaine.

Ron Haven invited me to make his morning bus run with him to Winding Stair Gap. When we were just two miles from Winding Stair Gap the bus broke down. Ron called two of his van drivers to pick up the occupants ...
    Categories
    2010 thru hike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	597.4 KB 
ID:	11097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	11098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	606.3 KB 
ID:	11099  
  4. General Advice - Monson to Katahdin

I plan on hiking from Monson ME to Katahdin this summer starting +/- July 12th. My plan is to leave a car somewhere around Katadin and find transportation to Monson where I plan to start my hike. Does anyone know of a transportation service (guy with car for hire) in this area. Also, there appears to be several areas to park around Katahdin, any suggustions which one might be the best option?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Bear Mountian

Hi I am so glad that you are about to start the wonderful trip. I am heading a little south
    then west my trip starts April 5th. homeward
    bound for the wonderful land of Alaska see
    you there I hope. Sunshine
    Categories
    Uncategorized