WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 17

"Travis McGee's still in Cedar Key
    That's what John MacDonald said
    My rendezvous so long overdue
    With all of the things I've sung and I've read
    They still apply to me, they'll all make sense in time

But now I'm incommunicado
    Driving by myself down the road with a hole in it
    Songs with no bravado
    Takin' the long way home" - J. Buffett

It's time for me too to be incommunicado. I've got my gear together. There are a couple

Updated 02-18-2016 at 17:14 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 40 Days Out

Woo, time is getting so short! I'm 40 days out from leaving town for my AT adventure and there is so much left to do that I'm sure I'll surely procrastinate until the last minute. I have all *necessary* gear... which doesn't mean I won't change something or add any luxuries and I did a quick clip video of it all a few days ago. The original was much to long and there was a lot of commentary. If people want to know about something, I'll go into detail, but until then -- it's just a list. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A few new toys

I purchased a few new toys for the trip. I invested in a new water filter. My old one I am positive I can no longer get filter material for not to mention mine weighs twice as much as the new one. I have always prided myself on being able to cook anywhere. Mostly I used the camp fire of a alcohol can stove. I wanted to try one of the new ultra light backpacking stoves. The stove weighs nothing but the can of fuel does. It might have been a bit of an impulse buy... we'll see. Probably by the end ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Travis McGee, John Muir, and me, still in Cedar Key 16

Alea iacta est "The die is cast" - Julius Caesar

There is a point in every endeavor when the abstract gives way to reality. That point where you have to "put your money where your mouth is." I reached that point last Friday when I began making travel plans for Calamity Jan to meet me on the Trail.

The only way to make it work is for her to fly to the closest airport then drive to predetermined points on predetermined dates. It's a logistical conundrum ...

Updated 02-15-2016 at 10:00 by CedarKeyHiker

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Returning to an old passion

So 2015 was full of strange an amazing changes for me and my family. As a teen I did many trips on the AT in Georgia and North Carolina. It was a passion that I never got a chance to fully realize. This year, 2016 I'm determined to start the process anew. Turning 50 put a lot of things in perspective. My sons in College now and adults. My wife and I spending a lot more time together getting to know each other again, not just as mom and dad, and all the changes that go along with it. She has encouraged ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 87 of 596 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 137 187 587 ... LastLast