WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Most Popular Journals

1. planing a journey

i am not a stranger to the trail 2012/2013 i hiked GA parts of NC then VA in the first week of April 2017 i will leave from GA to the trail and go as far as my feet will carry me then i hope to be a thru hiker i know it is not an easy task .but it is one i dreamed of for a very long time.and i will give it my all.till then happy trail my trail brothers and sisters
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Finished My Thru-hike!

I made it up Katahdin on September 16, 2010. I was on the trail for 184 days and I took over 6 million steps. I hiked for 160 days. My average hiking speed was just over 2 miles an hour. I averaged 11.81 miles per day. My longest day was 24 miles and the shortest was 1 mile and I took 24 days off (zero days). I spend 30 nights in a hotel, 10 nights in hostels, 120 days in shelters, and I used my tent 15 days. The elevation change was 475,200 feet.Clingmans Dome was the highest peak wat 6643 feet. ...
    Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Based on my choices from a week ago, I nominate myself for "Bonehead of the Year"

Firstly, I did NOT have the worst trail time ever. When my short section hike was over, all I had were insect bites.
    These were not mistakes of a careless newbie or lack of planning, prep, or thinking. I have (1) camped and hiked for decades, (2) day-hiked on the AT for years, and (3) done a few over-nights, to ensure I could do okay with just a pack.
    Nor was this over-ambition. For my first attempt at true back-packing, I chose a trip of about 45 miles of walking over four days walking ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Do you need rain where you live? - Part 1

Sometimes I wonder if I’m a weather shaman, able to bring rain to whatever part of The Trail I happen to walk on. Remember in April of this year, when I said that (near Harpers Ferry) I hiked in the rain for the first time? I’ve since made seven treks on the AT – and gotten rained on every trip! If your part of the country is in a drought, feel free to pay me to hike there, so that you’ll get a minimum of a centimeter of rain in a matter of days.

This trip was still another to Vermont ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What is the lightest canister stove and pot combination?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    What I use personally (which seems to ALMOST be as light weight as you can get with commercial products) is the Snow Peak LiteMax with the MSR Titan Kettle.
    The Titan Kettle is just the right size to store an MSR canister inside, and utilizing the concave area of the canister, I can include the LiteMax folded up under the canister.

Here's a SORTED list (by weight) of stoves mentioned that I can readily find commercially available (or a modern update that is commercially available).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast