WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Most Popular Journals

1. SNP Ridge Runner Blissful's Unsolicited and Ill-Informed Opinion

On 04 July, while descending from Mary’s Rock in the SNP, Jax Dad encountered ridge runner Ms. Bliss. Following mutual greetings of “Happy Fourth of July”, she commented on his red, white and blue equipment/garb and proceeded to examine his gear from a distance of several feet. A discussion then ensued about his trail experience to date. In that discussion Jax Dad remarked that he found the hike pure drudgery; it was one step after another with little opportunity to observe more than where the next ...

Updated 03-09-2019 at 10:11 by MadRanger

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 10 Weird Things Hiking the AT Does to Your Mind, Body, & Spirit....

1) I have to pull over when I'm driving past a mountain to keep from having an accident, since my mind is immediately shanghaied into imagining exactly how I would navigate the ridge....

2) I can't look at a photo or postcard of beautiful, natural places without longing to be there.

3) I seek out total strangers who could possibly understand this burgeoning obsession, because no one I know has a clue.

4) I carefully weigh my clothing/footwear and gear
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Day 1 of 4 in the Whites - Franconia Ridge

Alpha-Gal and M2 planned this as a 4 day hike from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch using the Hut system for overnights. Day 1 is from the Liberty Springs Trailhead up to the Franconia Ridge Trail and back down to Greenleaf Hut. This hike passes over the summits of Little Haystack Mountain, Mount Lincoln, and Mount Lafayette. Alpha-Gal and M2 made a quick stop for lunch at the Liberty Springs Tentsite and checked out the spring and privy ...
  4. Trail name [PRE HIKE]

When I retired from the Navy and got involved in the AT community I had not received a trail name. On one of my hiking trips I was sitting at a shelter one evening and talking to some thru hikers about how they got there trail name. One was retired Air Force. He looked at me and said you should be called Navy. They called me Navy for the remainder of the night and into the next morning. When we departed our ways I was walking with my friend and told him that I do not want to have the trail name ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
  5. Worries and concerns [PRE HIKE]

There are not to many worries and concerns that I have that known serious issues on the Appalachian Trail. I will voice a few concerns tha I have though.

Even though I have talked to literally hundreds of hikers that have thru hiked in the past and they assured me that the first two are nothing to worry about. I still have some other concerns.

1. Rattle snakes. Hiker says they are rarely ever seen and when they are seen they are out in the sun sunning themselves and nothing ...
    Categories
    2010 Pre Hike blogs
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast