WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. Three's Company!

Breaking News!

Uncle Bob has agreed to accompany Ed and Grandma on the AT hike! Hereon, he will be known by his new trail name, Strife.

Aside from being great company for us both, Strife promises to employ his Marine Corps training toward the safety and protection of his mom and nephew....so watch out all you Trail Bears and Shelter Mice!

Updated 04-01-2013 at 19:28 by Teacher & Snacktime

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. We are back!

After 5 nights off Diddo and I are back on the trail at Sams gap. We were set to be away until April 8 but realized we could fit in about 50 more miles before Diddo leaves for a wedding. <br />
    <br />
    The plan is to hike Sam's Gap to Greasy Creek. Then drop Diddo In Knoxville. When she flies back in my parents will shuttle us back to the trail so that we can continue to Maine.<br />
    <br />
    It's been kind of a logistical nightmare but it keeps ...

Updated 04-01-2013 at 21:22 by Zippy Morocco

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 3/31 Loving Hot Springs..Great hiker town!

Jan and I are having an awesome day here in Hot Springs, NC. This is a super cool hiker friendly town with post card views and friendly people. Had lunch on the banks of the French Broad River before hitting the famed hot springs mineral baths. After an hour of soaking in the 100 degree restorative power healing waters, Jan and I were ready to take on the world so we went back to the hotel and promptly took a nap. Sucks getting old! Early dinner tonight at the Iron Horse Tavern, followed, I'm ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 3/30 Standing Bear Hostel - Hosted by Rocket

March 29: traveled 18.4 miles from Tri-Corner Knob to Standing Bear Farm, a hiker hostel in Hartford, TN.

It was a really cold night in the shelter and when I woke up, my boots, which were wet from trudging through the snow the day before, were frozen solid. When I jammed my feet into them they felt like cement and because there was no flex, I hiked the first 15 minutes flat footed like a robot.... The day started with a steep climb to 6000 feet and although it was chilly the air ...

Updated 04-01-2013 at 18:21 by smsinnh

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Ready to Start

Got together with the family today for Easter and some final logistical planning. My sister will be manning the ground control hiker position with Pops doing additional home management. I had my gear out for display and questions and then did demo of some equipment and the magic trick of packing it all in the the backpack. I feel great with my gear (currently at about 36 pounds with H2O ands food) and preparations and although there is still a bit of nerves and fear I really am ready to get going. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized