WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. How do I get back from Katahdin to Monson? 100-mile wilderness shuttle?

My wife and I are planning to hike from Monson Maine to Katahdin, but if we leave a car in Monson, how do we get back there to drive home after hiking Katahdin? Does anyone know of shuttles or taxis that run this route at a reasonable price? I don't want to book my tent-site in BSP until I figure how to get back to my car!
    Thanks for any advice--
  2. Rain, rain go away

I have a confession to make. Nothing terrifically earth-shattering, but it does have the potential to really monkey-wrench my upcoming AT hike: I don’t like hiking in the rain. I mean, I REALLY don’t like hiking in the rain. According to my daughter, “when it starts raining, you start hiking really fast.”

Now, I’ve been hiking in the rain. I’ve been hiking on forested ridges with thunder crashing overhead, I’ve slogged through mud, I’ve waited for a group of boy scouts to vacate ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Best stove for a thru hike?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    I love my little Esbit stove as well. I use 2 tabs per day. I like to switch between my alcohol stove and the Esbit, but so far this year it's been all Esbit.
    I recently created a stove to use both esbit and alcohol. It has carbon felt on the bottom to absorb alcohol so it won't spill out and a Brian Green Esbit Tray that sits in the center for use with esbit. The best of both worlds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Esbit Alcohol Stove.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	30823
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Seeking Ultralight Advice

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    Actually... I think you can go Ultralight without breaking the bank. The biggest weight reductions are from leaving stuff behind, not necessarily spending big dollars on cuben.

Let's see if we can put together a hypothetical UL on the budget gear list:

* Pack - REI Flash 45: $80 34 ounces
    * Tent - REI QD1 $219 - 38 ounces
    * Sleeping Pad - Therm-a-rest Prolite $62 - 11 ounces
    * Sleeping Bag - North Face Furnace 35 $169- 34 ounces
    * Stove
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Map Man's Mean Miles/Day in a Visual - a benchmark for competition

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I am pleased to report that Achilles summitted Katahdin yesterday, and my wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to join him. Here is the final chart. He was slowed down toward the end by injury and by tragedy, but he persevered. We are very proud of him.

Lastly, if anyone likes the chart and is interested, I would be happy to pass along the Excel spreadsheet I used to put it together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Achilles AT Northbound Pace 20120629.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	30796
    Tags: planning Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized