WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Recent Journals Posts

1. Continued Training

We went to our favorite park, Red Mountain, yesterday. Let the dogs run in the enclosed dog park before the hike to let Gypsy work off her nervous "I'm riding in the car OMG!" energy and then went onto the trail. She's now wearing the backpack, although it's probably not going to make the trek on the AT: it's too small, old and starting to fall apart. But for a pack that's a good 10 years old, it's allowed to die. She's just getting used to the idea of wearing a pack over her harness and ...
  2. My training for 2015, Training Day 18 - 21

Training Day 18 - 21: June 27 - 30
    I decided last weekend was the time to start hiking for real. With the equipment already listed, 4 days food, merino wool long under layer, a compression shirt and a spare pair of liner socks, I set out on Friday afternoon with a total pack weight of about 40 pounds. I would have preferred to start earlier in the day, but I was depending on a ride to a bus that goes to the trail. By the time I got to the trail the temp was in the 90’s.

Updated 06-30-2014 at 21:33 by lordwilliam

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Saturday's Long Hike and blood sugar repercussions

by , 04-20-2014 at 19:19 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)

We are planning a guided hike in Paynes Prarie today with a focus on Medicinal and Edible plants in the Wild.

If the rain causes a cancellation of the walk then we will hike the Hawthorne-Gainesville Trail for a little bit, eat some lunch and then come home.

We missed the Plant hike in Paynes Prarie on Saturday. It was raining just as we were leaving so we went back inside and changed to more appropriate rain/wet gear so that ...
  4. This isn't Cross Training, it's Cross Learning!

by , 04-05-2014 at 05:44 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    I’m excited to be getting my first backpack at the end of April and really get started on this AT adventure finally. With the backpack I will begin to feel like a hiker.

As far as sports and money go this isn’t really bad. The big items are a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. You can get crazy expensive with the other stuff but you don’t have to in order to have a good time.

Versus $1100 to $4000 for a triathlon bike, $90 to $120 for triathlon kits. $130 for ...
  5. Body adapting to activities.

by , 04-01-2014 at 04:42 (My wife and I are planning to thru hike the AT in 2017)
    It’s taken a few weeks but my blood sugars seem to have adapted to this change in activity. At least diabetes and I have found a rhythm that is starting to work. It is so easy to want to NOT do anything to change your diabetic routine because it ALWAYS throws your blood sugar control off at first. Eventually though you will find a way to make it work but change is never easy with diabetes.

My doctor gets upset by my lack of variety in my meals. When you find what works for you, you ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast