WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. July 16, 2021, Lehigh Gap

Margaret dropped us off early this morning at Lehigh Gap to begin our trek up the mountain. Thanks again Margaret!!

The climb was challenging but not the nightmare I had pictured in my head. Loads of rocks and several climbs where we had to throw our trekking poles up over the rocks so we could use both hands to climb. Took us about an hour to reach the top (less than a mile).

The view was spectacular!

We ended up walking 16.1 miles today. Not bad for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. July 15, 2021

We are zeroing today in Jim Thorpe, PA, courtesy of Margaret White and Charley Sproule, both of whom I worked with at Adelphoi back in the day. Charlie and Margaret were married in Jim Thorpe a number of years ago. One of the nicest weddings I ever attended. Theresa and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Jim Thorpe used to be called Mauch Chunk in the 1800's and early 1900s and was the place of coal miner unrest. A movie staring Sean Connery was made in the 1970s telling the story. A number of Irish Coal ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. July 11, 2021, Port Clinton

Met TwoKnee in Port Clinton at the Pavillion, which is owned by a local church. It is open for hikers to stay there, though not all the neighbors there are crazy about that. One neighbor has a sign on their garage next door to the Pavilion that reads "Hikers not welcome." The Pavilion is at mile 1219.8.

Russ Davies cousin is meeting us there with a package that was mailed to his address that contains a new pair of boots and a sleeping pad for TwoKnees. Russ's cousin is Dave ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. July 8, 2021

Had breakfast at the usual breakfast place in Duncannon before we hit the trail. Trail Angel Mary, who is famous and considered trail royalty, picked us up at the hostel to take us back to Rt. 225 and the trail. Before we left the restaurant, we had an opportunity to meet and get our picture taken with Nimblewill No Mad, an 82 year old hiker who is trying to break the record as the oldest hiker to complete the AT. When Trail Angel Mary picked us up, we drove past Nimblewill walking out of town. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. July 7, 2021, Duncannon PA

We are zeroing in Duncannon today after what has been an eventful 24 hours.

First of all, TwoKnee fell yesterday. He fell in front of me and hit hard on a rock. Luckily, it was his thigh that hit hard and not his head. When he fell, I knew it was painful and thought it was serious. He wanted to lay on the ground for a minute or two to take an inventory of his pain. When he got up, he said his thigh was what got the most of the brunt force of the fall. He decided to continue on. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 4 of 596 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast