WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. July 2, 2021

Stayed in the hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park last night. It was in the Iron Masters Mansion. It was nice though the hostel manager didn't get there until later in the evening. We went to the General Store but didn't participate in the traditional eating of the ice cream. The tradition is that hikers eat 1/2 gallon of ice cream to celebrate reaching the 1/2 way point on the trail. I, instead, ordered a sandwich and large fries. The fries were much, much larger than I thought and couldn't ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Hold the presses! We need a re-write on this blog!

On the last day of my four-day section hike, with less than seven more miles to go on my 28 mile journey, I “knew” what I was going to write in my blog about this trek. It was going to be (pretty much) a repeat of one the themes I’ve used over the years: that the hike was quite uneventful, but that fact was due to having the same qualities of an expert pilot. Specifically, just as good aviators make their plans based on the weather, equipment, and skills actually present & available, they almost ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thursday, July 1, 2021, 4 pm

So alot of eventful things have happened in the past two weeks:
    - I finished Virginia, the longest state on the AT. It was over 542 miles long. Seemed like it took forever, lengthened by my shin splint injury. I took a total of 13 zeros while in Virginia because of it, along with numerous neros (short mileage days.
    - I completed two additional states- West Virginia (4 miles in length) and Maryland (41 miles in length)
    - Spent a zero in Harpers Ferry, where I met Theresa for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 8:15 pm

I am writing this post at Bearfence Hut at mile 919 in Shenandoah National Park. This is my first day back on the trail since taking 8 zeros due to my shin splint injury. I had left the trail on June 7th. My brother Alex, who is a nurse practitioner, had told me the only real way to heal shin splints is to rest them. I finally heeded his advice!

While off the trail I visited a physical therapist- Janell Smith-Emery. She has an office near Stahlstown, south of Ligonier. I know Janell ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, June 7, 2021, 9 pm

Yesterday, June 6, I hiked 14 miles with my shins sore almost the entire time. When I woke up this morning, they were still sore, one of the few times they hurt the next day before walking on them. So I decided to get off the trail. This injury has been nagging me for several weeks so I needed to bite the bullet and give them meaningful rest. I broke the news to Tejas and Zey, who totally understood. I am so sorry to have to leave them, as they have been wonderful hiking partners. This injury has ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 5 of 596 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 505 ... LastLast