WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

All Journal Entries

1. 28 March 2010

28 March 2010, Hiawassee
    Today they called for extreme thunderstorm warnings. I have decided to take a zero day (day off). I really don't want to take a zero day. It is going to be boring as hell sitting around in this room all day.

I made a trip to Ingles Supermarket to pick up some ibuprofen and some snacks; while I was there I applied and received one of their discount cards. It saved me $1.18. I also stopped at Rite Aid and got some epsom salt to soak my feet in. ...
    Categories
    2010 thru hike
  2. Water Purification

Trying to think what would be best here. I've been considering the UV light sticks, as well as micropur, but those are kinda expensive. I also have an old katadyn water pump. The newest models are around a pound, but I think my old one is a little heavier. Any suggestions? I guess I could post this as a thread, but haven't figured out how to do that yet
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Gear

I am looking at the REI flash 65 or 50 for a backpack. I also am looking at several gortex paclite jackets including the Mountain Hardware Typhoon, OR Foray, and the North Face Meru. I'll need some new trail shoes; haven't researched that yet although Merrells have worked great in the past for me as far a durability and fit goes. Haven't at all thought about water purification. I will probably post a thread about that as soon a I figure out how.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Early Planning Stages

Starting in Harper's Ferry, WV on June 6th.
    Hoping to meet a lot of good people along the way, as I am hiking alone. Hopefully this will put me in the main NOBO group that started in March/April.

Planning on finishing the first half of my flip flop in late August or very early September, as I have a wedding to be at in TN on September 4th.

Mid September I will start back on the trail from Harper's Ferry, WV going south to Springer. I am really looking forward ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. anyone interest in hiking from fontana dam!!!

Around May 1st I am planning on hiking from Fontana Dam to highway 76. 100 miles give or take. I only hike 6-12 miles per day. I am a scenery hiker. Like to camp anywere between shelters near water. no animals!
    sixpack
    Categories
    Uncategorized