WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

• What to leave home/preparation for a thru-hike (Hiker Advice)

What to leave home/preparation for a thru-hike

By A-Train 4 Feb 2005

Thought I'd compile a list of ideas that would be helpful to future thru-hikers planning to leave soon for their journey. This is advice that I would have found useful in making last-minute decisions as what to buy and what to bring. This is intended to help decrease pack weight and shy away from superflous items that you most likely won't use on a daily basis. It's also meant as a way for you, the hikers to save money sending things home that you could just as easily leave home. Lastly, It may save you money from having to buy some things in the first place.

Disclaimer: This is based on my own experience on the trail as well as witnessing others sending many similar items home and lugging the same things and wondering why on earth they had them in the first place. I can guarantee there will be folks who will disagree with almost every item I deem uncessary. I'm not claiming this is the right way, or that since I don't need it, YOU won't need it. It's simply a suggestion, you can take it for what it's worth. If this benefits one person I'll be happy.

Pack Towel-This was something that everyone had, sometimes 2 or 3 of them. Sure they could be handy, but why not just carry a bandana. It's lighter and can be used a million and a half different ways. I cleaned my glasses, tied it around my head, wiped condensation off my tent walls, and washed my face with it. It's multi-purpose. Most likely a hostel or motel will have towels. If not you can get creative. A pack towel is not a necessity.

Tent/Seal seam and boot water proofing- You simply don't need these items often enough to warrant carrying them in a pack for 6 months. When you need them you can split a bottle with other hikers, or find leftover in a hiker box. No need to lug it up the trail.

Soaps and toiletries-All you really need is a SMALL bottle (like an oz or two) of all purpose or Doctor Bronners biodegradable soap. This can be used to wash you and your pots. No need for special "human" soap. Likewise carrying toiletries like deoderant and shampoo are not necessary. You're gonna stink and the only time to get clean is in town. They have what you need.

Trowel-I carried the orange shovel for 700 miles before realizing I didn't really need it. Most shelters have a privy. If you can excercise any sort of self control, you usually can time your business around lunch or dinner or breakfast at a shelter. I hardly ever needed to dig. Use a trekking pole, use a boot heal, use your finger. The only section without privies is Erwin to Damascus, so maybe you can pick a trowel up in Erwin if this scares you.

A groundcloth- I'm sure the masses will want to stone me for this, but I saw absolutely no reason to carry an extra piece of material under my tent. If the tent was going to get wet due to a storm or a poor setup, a piece of material would do little to keep the floor dry. All it seemed to be was another layer of material that didn't do a whole lot. Experiment before leaving with this one.

Gaitors-Backpacker magazine and the likes like to embed the idea that to be truly hardcore and rugged, we most have these very expensive hot covers on our legs to protect us against all the perils of the woods. Not so. In reality they do very little for you other than make you look goofy or rough, depending on who you talk to. If you haven't bought them, save your money for xtra cheezburgers.

Mitten Covers- I bought these and never really needed them. Regular fleece gloves are great to keep you warm at night but generally you generate enough heat while hiking that i never needed these, maybe once or twice at most. You can always put your hands in your pockets or use ziplock bags

XTRA food and clothing-this is generally the source of peoples riciculous 80 lb loads when they leave Springer. You can get more food 30 miles up the trail, even 20 if you run into trouble. Don't start out with 10-15 lbs of food. It just doesn't make sense. Likewise, be prepared for the mountain weather, but there is no need to set off with 4 t-shirts, 3 pairs of underwear and "Town clothes". Your gonna smell, just wear the same thing everyday. Trust me, no one cares.

A book-I love reading on the trail but realize for many people they are too tired to sit down and attack a novel after a long days walking. You can always pick one up along the way if you are so inclined.

Radio/Music player-most hikers seemed to not have a need for one until virginia when the days started to get long and motivation decreased. If you can't live a day without, bring it to springer, but realize you may be wrapped up in adjusting to trail and meeting folks the first few weeks. Trust me, you won't be bored if you leave in march or april.

Camp Cup-lots of folks had cups or spent much too much on titanium mugs. Thats why we have water bottles. They double as mugs too. Cups don't pack well and take up space. If you are a devoted coffee drinker, this might be a staple for you, though.

Sunglasses/Sun screen-This ain't the desert or the PCT. There is good tree cover and it's not called the Long Green Tunnel for nothing. Almost everyone ended up sending their spiffy specs home. If you need a pair, go with somehting cheap. Most likely you'll smash them or leave them in a shelter.

Bug Spray-Sorry if this sounds dumb but you won't need this till later on. Buy some in Kent Ct.

Sox-3 pairs is perfect. 1 for warm camp wear and 2 to alternate while hiking. Anymore than this seems overkill

Xtra pants-Go with one pair. Decide what you like better: rain pants or convertible/cool hiking pants. They esentially do the same thing which is cover your legs. Both are NOT water proof. Most thru-hikers seemed to deem rainpants obsolete by the warmer weather (especially after their wicking ability had died) and I tend to agree. Go with a real cheap pair (10 bucks) or use those fancy convertible pants. I had a pair that were quite expensive and the zipper broke on me. Not good. Shorts and tights always works good and is versatile.

Guidebook-you don't need the state guidebooks unless you are really interested in every turn and twist the trail takes. A handbook and data info and maps will be all you need.

Don't over do it on the journal. I use loose small paper and pen. Some people had elaborate notebooks which were heavy.

Water holders/Bottles-You will be inclined to fill your canisters so avoid those humongous platypus sacks or 3-4 nalgenes. All you need is 2 1-liter bottles and something to keep camp water in (a small collapsible bag). I saw people leaving springer with like 20 lbs of water, no exageration.

First Aid-this is personal of course, and I'm not trying to get anyone killed here, but don't overkill here. Use your common sense. Most likely if the injury is real bad you're gonna need to get off trail. A couple band-aids, antibiotic oinment, some tape to wrap blisters and ibuprofen does me good.

poles/sticks: I'm a HUGE proponent of these and I do own expensive Lekis. You don't need the fanciest though. Ski poles work well and the cheaper brands often performed as good as the expensive ones. They're great for your knees but don't get sucked into the marketing scheme, if you don't want to.

Cell Phone- This is highly debated, but most likely its just gonna add weight to your pack and you won't find service. If you wanna pay money to carry a rock in your pack, go crazy, but know the overwhelming majority of folks sent these home.

As I mentioned, you may find that one or more of these are necessary for you to enjoy your hiking trip. If you want to lug it, go for it! This is only a sugestion as how to trim pack weight and save some money and time. Each person generally has a comfort item and any of these may be what you can't live without. Good luck to all
    This article was originally published in forum thread: What to leave home/preparation for a thru-hike (Hiker Advice) started by A-Train View original post
    Comments 148 Comments
      SGT Rock -
      put on your rain pants
      rafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by kirbysf View Post
      First of all your article was very helpful. But I am puzzled about what to do if I only have one pair of pants and it is time to do laundry.

Jumper
      My solution: the shorts I wear for hiking are of a lightweight synthetic fabric. I wash them in the sink with soap. They air-dry in minutes. Put them back on (perhaps even a bit damp...) and wear them while washing everything else.
      Gaiter -
      ground clothes make good skirts too while doing laundry
      trail ronin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
      Tourniquets have the possibility of killing whatever limb you put them on, plus the person using them needs to know how to use it (i.e. loosening it every 15 minutes). What you need is a "blowout kit", similar to what is used by soldiers to treat gunshot wounds. They contain a clotting agent which will make a massive wound clot up within a minute or two.
      Here's the latest thing to stop massive blood loss. And it's cheap, to boot!
      Anyone running a chain saw around the house would do well to consider this! http://www.basegear.com/quikclot-z-medica.html
      Gaiter -
      or you go to a pet store, look near the animal nail clippers and find quikstop, half the price, i carry a small amount w/ me in a little plastic baggy, it stings, learned about it from grooming dogs.
      Appalachian Tater -
      You can get a styptic pencil or powder at any drugstore with the shaving supplies. It's basically alum. I'm not sure why you would need it on the A.T.
      timeman1954 -
      Be sure to carry that spare pair of boots. I actually went on a scout 50 miler (started at Amacolola) with a guy that carried a spare of everything. Yes, he did outhike me; I was carring all the food. My pack weighed in at 72 lbs. his was 50 lbs. Since that experence, I carry no more than 25-30 lbs tops. MACHO vs STUPID! Got to say that I learned the hard way what not o carry.
      zephyr -
      Goofy or not I love my gaiters. I tend to end up with a bushel of sticks and leaves in my boots if I hike without them. I got my first pair at the Mt. Rogers Outfitter and have worn them every since. I also carry a small radio that clips on my chest strap. It has saved me some wet days of hiking by knowing when rain is coming. I have avoided a few severe thunderstorms by hiking extra miles to town or getting to a shelter since I don't carry a tent. It's great on long climbs to take you mind off the pain.
      superman -
      Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
      put on your rain pants
      LOL, I did that. I had a pants and shirt set of Frogg Toggs. I wore the pants only once. I was doing my laundry wearing my frogg togg pants when I bent down. The pants split open from front to back. It wasn't a small matter...it was the full monty. It was a special moment for me and the old woman who was waiting for her laundry. She dealt with it pretty good...at least she didn't giggle and point.
      88BlueGT -
      Not sure if it has been suggested already but if you are set of bringing a book, why not an audio book if you are already carrying sometype of player. Personally, I like my Zen. Its small, light, built in radio & voice recorder, AA batteries, etc. If you really wanted a book just upload it onto your Zen and your done. No extra weight. Also, you can record your voice for reminders later on down the trail if needed.
      Hurley -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
      Somewhere along the line i believe i read that the original use for superglue
      i.e.,the reason it was developed-was as a way to stop bleeding and suture
      up injuries in the field.
      Is this true or is it urban legend?.One thing is for sure-it will glue your fingers
      together and if nothing else was available(or working) you bet i would use it
      before letting myself or someone else bleed to death.
      Cheers to all.
      Oldfivetango
      I use glue on cuts every now and then. White sticky glue from the art store. Its stronger and better then elmers. It actually works really well on small cuts on hands and arms. I wouldn't reccomend using it on large cuts. The glue is non toxic ( yes you can eat it too), and has no harsh smell. I'd stay away from the stronger clear cement glues.
      SGT Rock -
      Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
      LOL, I did that. I had a pants and shirt set of Frogg Toggs. I wore the pants only once. I was doing my laundry wearing my frogg togg pants when I bent down. The pants split open from front to back. It wasn't a small matter...it was the full monty. It was a special moment for me and the old woman who was waiting for her laundry. She dealt with it pretty good...at least she didn't giggle and point.
      I had something similar happen with my ProVent pants (same stuff as FroggToggs) right up the crotch seam. I got a Tyvek mailer envelope and made a patch that covers the hole and reinforces the area - it is still going strong a few years later.
      PeterB -
      Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
      Not sure if it has been suggested already but if you are set of bringing a book, why not an audio book if you are already carrying sometype of player. Personally, I like my Zen. Its small, light, built in radio & voice recorder, AA batteries, etc. If you really wanted a book just upload it onto your Zen and your done. No extra weight. Also, you can record your voice for reminders later on down the trail if needed.
      I suggest a mp3 player with a removable sd card slot. Then get a couple of sd cards and get someone to send you audio books on the sd cards. Many public libraries have audio book collections you can rip/transfer to sd cards.

Audio books move fairly slow so turned down low, you can still enjoy the scenary/ bird songs/ etc while listening to a good book.

It is getting harder to find MP3 players with SD cards and AAA batteries. But Sansa still makes a couple (the e140 and the e130). A 1 gb SD card can hold about 10 audio books.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->
      Zzzzdyd -
      made my first 'attempted' thru hike Feb. '01.

Thanks for a great post A-Train.

Just a few notes from an old Army medic and several times failed AT thru hiker. Hopefully I have learned something useful from some hike ending mistakes ?

First the "mental" load. Remember this is the "AT", your not going off to the end of the earth. Except for the northern part of the AT, one is rarley more than 1/2 to 1 day hike from help. It's my understanding that if you make it as far as Maine you will no longer have any gear fears. Lighten up.

"To thine ownself be true." As someone mentioned earlier try to have your gear gathered and tried out at least 7 to 10 days before starting your AT thru, or section hike. More time with your gear is better here, so if you have to change some gear, hopefully you have time.

Field test everything, even if you only have time to hike out to your yard.

I know my neighbors get lots of chuckles everytime they see me 'camped out' in the yard. And my two favorite grandkids have lots of fun spraying me with the garden hose. But I know "before" I start my hike if I have any water leaks, and have time to correct and prepare for this problem if it, and it probally will, happens again.

Check all gear throughly. I got me a nice super-light shelter sometime back that needed all the tie-out points redone. Much easier done at home on the sofa watching the boob tube than out in the trail in the wind and/or rain. Check all of your gear before leaving your humble adobe. Discovering your stove doesn't work, missing a tent peg or some needed line, your footwear really isn't correct for YOU, etc., etc. out on the trail is NO FUN at all.

As much as possible know your and your gears limitations.
      Example: If your starting your hike from Springer in Feb. You really need to know for sure if you have the correct temperature sleeping bag for YOU. Are you a cold or warm sleeper ? This can make as much as 10 or 15 degree difference in your SB rating. I have seen to many hikers try to skimp on this. This is where you spend most of the night doing the hot water bottle thing so you don't freeze to death. Yes a platapus will hold boiling hot water. Be careful here ! If the water leaks inside your bedding your not going to like it ! This is one mistake I haven't made yet..I usually error on the side of to much bag.

I know my now ex-wife really thought she was helping me when she got me that BIG Gregory Palisade backpack for a year 2000 x-mas present.
      Of course I felt duty bound to go FILL IT UP with 50 lbs of food, water, and gear. The only piece of gear I have left from that attempt is my old faithful Feathered Friends 10 degee Sleeping Bag( please no flames about the never ending down VS synthetic debate).

Lesson learned. Get your gear, make sure it's what YOU need and want.
      Then sort out the correct backpack for YOU. I wouldn't part with my Breeze(14 oz.3700ci) or the ULA pack I got for heaver loads At Walasi-Yi a few years back( don't like overloading my fav. grandson, and need the hip-belt for the 25 to 30 lbs I usually end up with. I have to live long enough to get him back huh..lol ). The Breeze doesn't have a hip-belt, the ULA does. I don't miss the over 6lb, 5000ci Palisade even a little bit. Of course if I decided to do some hiking out in Footslogger country I might want to borrow one ?

Because I am special 'lol' (Type II diabetes) I always carry a 2oz. bottle of rubbing alcohol to refresh my feet with once or twice a day as I hike. Some matches and homemade sewing kit(thru-hiker.com) inside a used 35mm film container. And because I am a natural born CLUTZ and would find a nice sharp stick to punch a hole in my pretty, light-weight shelters floor, expensive too ! I always carry and use some Tyvex.

I have found Gore-tex products to be a expensive waste of funds. Your feet are going to get WET. Get footwear that DRYS quick !
      The high dollar Gore-Tex boots I used on my first hike weighed over 8lbs each on the scales at Neals Gap after just ONE day of hiking in LIGHT rain. Besides that after just a couple of hours the insides were full of cold water that couldn't get out. Hiking down that long down into Neals was NOT fun that day ! They did make some useful motorcycle riding boots though. Sheese I had to figure out how to get my monies worth somehow huh ?

And I have some shortie gators that I use in trying to limit the scree from getting inside my footwear and seems to help keep scud and snow off the laces. I do believe they help, but probally will not ever replace.

Well these "notes" have got much to long. Pack a light, worry free mind is what I mostly want to add to the already great list. If it's going to bother YOU during your hike, if at all possible take care of it before you start. I have found that 'worry' weighs to much for me.

I always carry a extra white hankerchief and make sure my trip-light line is handy in case a 'pressure dressing is called for. Almost anything will work, including one's hand to stop bleeding, at least temporarily. Might want to make sure the injured party is breathing first ! And head wounds, not always, but usually look much worse than they are. If ithe wound is not spurting a cold water soaked cloth will usually do the trick on head wounds .If it is 'spurting', ie.arterial bleeding, get pressure on the wound ASAP with whatever you can find. Worry about proper cleaning and antiseptics later.

This site might help in sorting out some first aid options.
      The American Red Cross does offer some real good inexpensive classes in CPR and First Aid.

http://www.tnstate.edu/interior.asp?mid=2773&ptid=1

Thanks again A-train

This thread has give me a few new ideas and reminded me of an old forgotten trick.
      A-Train -
      ZZZdyd-

Thanks for taking the time to add your input and suggestions. I very much agree with your ideas regarding familiarizing yourself with your gear and learning to trust it. I think your post should be required reading for future AT hikers
      Safety Pins -
      I think that you must carry antibiotic cream as well as large band-aids,
      sterile pads, gauze tape. If you did have a bleeding injury, these are all necessary to prevent infection -- super-important on the trail. I also carry an Ace bandage for possible sprains and temporary "twisting injuries." Safety Pins (my trail name!) But they're a good idea, too.
      Knocky -
      I hone my list of 'got to have' things on local hikes around North Florida. If I don't need it here, I probably don't need it on the AT. Nothing should go on a long hike, if you have not tested it in advance. Nothing.
      Jamie Ganote -
      Anyone Out There Ever Bring Or Attempt To Bring A Guitar On A Thru? Im A Die Hard Musician And Would Really Like To Bring One Along. There Are Models Out There That Are Made Just For Backpacking, Very Lite, Streamlined Versions. I Just Wonder What Kind Of Problems I May Have With Trees, Brush And The Like Along The Trail.
      Any Input Here Is Welcomed, No Im Not Crazy, I Just Like Having My Ax Nearby. Mother Nature Has Inspired Many A Song In Her Time. Maybe Its About Time Someone Wrote About The A-T, Or Sang About It As The Case May Be.
      fiddlehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Ganote View Post
      Anyone Out There Ever Bring Or Attempt To Bring A Guitar On A Thru? Im A Die Hard Musician And Would Really Like To Bring One Along. There Are Models Out There That Are Made Just For Backpacking, Very Lite, Streamlined Versions. I Just Wonder What Kind Of Problems I May Have With Trees, Brush And The Like Along The Trail.
      Any Input Here Is Welcomed, No Im Not Crazy, I Just Like Having My Ax Nearby. Mother Nature Has Inspired Many A Song In Her Time. Maybe Its About Time Someone Wrote About The A-T, Or Sang About It As The Case May Be.
      by all means take one. I usually always carry a Martin Backpacker. They weigh 2 lbs but the case and extra strings and some words along (might as well work while i'm out there) probably get the whole thing closer to 4 lbs.

I always used the case that it came in, but i tie a string (like a shoelace) around the top to compress it where the neck is, and then i have a special pack cover that i had made that has a sort of closed sleeve that fits right over it. Never had any problems on the AT although out west, the desert cracks the wood. Martin told me not to take it into the desert but gave me a new one when i told them it was a "Backpacker" guitar and i was hiking the CDT.

anyway, that's the model i prefer cause i think it's the lightest one out there. Not good for a part cause it's not very loud but great for yourself and keeping your skills honed. have fun.

Reading thru some of this thread, i will say that the Original post was excellent advice. I also would say you don't need all that parachute cord everybody seems to take. If you want to take some line for hanging up clothes to dry (on the AT? yeah right) go to a union construction job where they are doing brick or block work and ask for some of their line that they use for the straight line guide between rows. This is incredibly strong and lightweight string. I have used it on my tent for my tent stakes (about 4' on each with about 3 or 4 loops tied into each for options) for 3 thru hikes now without breaking any. and i have been in some very windy conditions out west.
      Ready -
      Hi,

I've never done it, but I know of folks who have. Takoma Tedd did, and those who got to enjoy his many impromptu concerts were glad that he did! (His Martin Backpacker guitar took a little spill -- in the the Notch in 2001, I think, but it's since been repaired and lives happily with his *new* Martin Backpacker.) Woody carried a banjo on the PCT; not sure about the AT. I've seen other guitars on trails, but can't vouch for they're having been carried for entire thru's, all.

Ready