WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Teacher & Snacktime

Teacher & Gumball

Rate this Entry
Gumball is my 11yr old great-nephew who has recently joined our household. He was intrigued by the stories of hiking the AT with Snacktime and wanted to give it a try. We've had several local jaunts and he seems to legitimately enjoy spending time in the woods. I was planning to start my very own section hike at Springer this fall, and told him he could join me if he was up to the challenge. In May he first set foot on the AT with a leisurely stroll along the Pochuck Boardwalk in NJ, and in June was his first AT outing to our favorite Upper Goose Pond Cabin. He did very, very well. With a few more trips under his belt now (another UGPC, MA/CT with Tiptoe, RI North South Trail) and exposure to the variety of conditions and adversities that define the trail and he was set to go.

Our focus has not been educational with this kiddo, but instead to invest in him a sense of personal strength and ability to accomplish as well as an appreciation of the world around him and his impact on it (and to replace an electronics addiction with a passion for nature). When he has learned what he can do in the face of challenge we'll start to focus on helping others with their challenges. But for now, he needs to hike, to meet friendly folks, to be accepted and appreciated (and sometimes celebrated) just for being who he is. So of course I've brought him to WB, and to the trail.

Updated 11-09-2016 at 01:30 by Teacher & Snacktime

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments