WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

GoldenBear

Blessed to avoid trouble! (Part 2)

Rate this Entry
My original plan was to use the next day to hike up the south side of Moosilauke, having done the north side a few years ago. However, fearful of the well-publicized difficulty of this hike
whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63234
http://www.northeasthikes.com/hike-m...r-brook-trail/
and the fact that I knew my legs already tired from vertical walking, I decided to spend the morning shopping for Shuttle’s birthday; and then do a simple, one-hour up and one-hour down stroll on this trail. I figured this would give me an idea on whether I need any additional equipment (knee pads? hiking gloves?) to do this for real.
After an hour or so of seeing spectacular cataracts, I decided to continue to what my Guthook{R} app said would be an overlook just under a mile up this trail. When I met a hiker coming down, I asked how far to this overlook, and he whipped out his Guthook and told me how far to the summit. I apologized for my angry reply that I wanted to know about the overlook, not the summit, but found that, to my amazement, I was less than a mile from the junction where I had hiked to when I did the north side of Moosilauke. I quickly calculated how much time it would take me to get there and back, and realized I could readily do this before darkness. Wow!!
I got to the junction, not far past the shelter, and then got down to the parking lot way before darkness. Frankly, I amazed myself.

Returned home the next day, and immediately got ready for a weekend trip to Delaware with Shuttle. The number of miles done on this trip were a mere 15.3 in three days, but I’ve gotten some pretty rough miles out of the way. I’ll probably be able to go over 1600 miles by the end of 2019.

Comments