WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Katahdin to Kakadjo Road ME October 3-9, 2018 din

Katahdin to Kakadjo Road ME October 3-9, 2018

Rate this Entry
AT# 29 ME Katahdin to Kakadjo Road.

With 2 Mile

10/3Climbed Katahdin 5.2 m Spent nite at Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket and took shuttle to Katahdin Springs Campground arriving at 7am. Started ascent arriving at summit at 1:45pm. This was a very strenuous tough climb with three sections of very technical scrambling. It's far tougher than anything in the White's and southern Maine. I would never climb this in bad weather due to the limited footholds and tricky technical descent. Arrived at the car at 9:30 pm having descended with lights for 2.5 hours. We got back to the hostel at 11 pm. No time to eat and only got 4 hours sleep.

10/4 Abol Bridge from Katahdin Springs CG 10-13 m Started next day at Katahdin Springs trail head hiking south to Abol Bridge tent site. Basically easy hiking except for two fords. We had not eaten since the night before Katahdin and were exhausted. I did experience exhaustion and dizziness during this hike that concerned me but a fellow hiker said I was exhausted and out of energy. We camped for $13 at the Campground near the bridge.

10/5 Rainbow Lake CS camp near Abol Bridge. Hiked close to Hurd Brook .Still out of energy and struggling. Turned around and headed back to Abol Bridge and thumbed ride to Millinocket. 2 Mile kept going to meet me 3 days later at Jo Mary Road.

10/6 Felt better so I used 2 Mile’s truck to get to Mary Jo Road. Slack packed along flat rocky hiking trail horseshoeing around pond and Mary Jo lake and Antlers Camp Site. Went past Pataywadjo heading to Deer Brook. I figured it was a 18 mile circuit. Got back to truck and back to Millinocket before dark.

10/7 Drove truck to slack pack opposite direction (south). Hiked from Mary Jo Road to Kakadjo Road and back. Slack packed a 13 mile circuit having trail magic at end! Very easy fast trail passing Cooper Brook LT for lunch and pics. Big rock scree dam at end close to Kakadjo Road. Saw numerous nobounders in a hurray to get to Katahdin. Returned to Millinocket at 6pm.

10/8 Came back to Mary Jo Road hiked north meeting Bruce and returning to truck to head home. Will not finish Kakadjo Road to Monson until next year.. First need to be evaluated to determine why I hiked lousy after Katahdin although I felt normal the last 3.days. 2 Mile will need to finish the Saddlebacks from Carrabasset River (Poplar Ridge LT) to Rangeley.

Updated 05-01-2020 at 17:02 by MIA

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized