WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Dirk's Rambles

March 7, 2021, 6:40 pm

Rate this Entry
As I am writing this, I am listening to a coyote howl on the hill opposite to where we are camped. It is very cool! What a great way to start off our first night!

Overall the first night was very good. PJ Servey dropped us off in the parking lot on Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the AT and the starting point for most northbounders. Brad has such a good son! Brad is right about all the good things he says about PJ. He left us at 9:30 am, after a great breakfast at the Wafflehouse in Ellijah.

The parking lot was full and there were many people walking to the starting point. We walked one mile to starting point, then turned around and walked back toward the parking lot then continued north on the trail. While at the starting point, we met a couple who were married on the AT, and had returned to experience the first day for many of us. Another woman, "Rocky", was there offering her support and "trail magic" in the form of soft drinks and chips in the parking lot. She was answering questions for many of us, since she had done a thru hike previously.

We hike a total of 8 trail miles not including the extra mile to walk to the starting point. The walk today wasn't terribly hard, but we know there will be many challenging days. The day was sunny and mild. Everyone we met was happy, outgoing, and excited. Not a bad word from any soul.

We are camped in a primitive site just before Hawk Mountain shelters. When I went to start my stove tonight, it didn't work. First time that happened with my MSR Whisperlite in 20 years. Frustrating! I ate a cold meal, though Brad offered me hot water for my Ramen noodles. I declined. Also tried to call Theresa but my calls failed three times.

We registered this morning at Amacola Falls State Park. When we did, they weighed our packs. Mine weighed 49.5 pounds without my drinking water in it. It will probably weigh over 52 pounds once I put the water on my pack. I couldn't believe it!! I thought it was around 40. Shock! I need to reduce my weight. Someone mentioned that at Neal's Gap, the outfitters there will "shakedown" my pack and help me decide what to mail back home, which they will also help me do. Felt like a rookie!! I have only been backpacking for 25 years.....they say you pack your fears. I certainly did!

Three pieces of advice I heard today which I thought was good:
1. Don't quit the trail on a bad day
2. You are one step away from going home, meaning step carefully for your safety
3. The trail doesn't walk itself
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized