WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

botanista

Much to do, anxious...

Rate this Entry
Introductions: I am an experienced although rusty 3-season hiker, and fitter than I have been in two decades. I haven't settled on a start date, and I have yet to purchase some key gear, but WOW has gear improved in the meantime!!! I will be carrying far less weight for more amenities. I worry about the durability of the new stuff, it all seems a bit fragile. And I'm kinda thrilled at the frequency of resupply points on the AT. Not at all like the 10-day stretches we used to do out west when I was teen in the 80s. I might just maildrop turkish coffee (not an optional) and boots.

Long days trouble me. I'm a slow sort, and have trouble with my metatarsal arches, which most hikers haven't even heard of. I will certainly have to find a good orthopedist and keep the pack weight down.

I look forward to meeting people on the trail, although this trip is mostly about being walkabout. I might also write a book about plants of the AT, since I am a professional botanist and I'll be unable to stop myself from keeping plant lists and the like anyway.

The current plan is the Flip-Flop: start at Springer in mid-April, then cut up to Katahdin from Harper's and head south to finish with the fall colors. If I get a late start (and don't have a teaching gig waiting in the fall) I could do the Head-Start May: begin at Harper's to follow spring north, hoping to return to Harper's at Labor Day and follow fall south to Springer.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments