WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

snifur

9 March 2011 Packed and Ready

Rate this Entry
Purchased bus ticket today for $89 to Gainesville, GA to start on 15 March on the approach trail from Amicalola Falls State Park.
I confirmed all my gear is packed and ready. Final weight for my pack including food and water is 31 pounds. I have no idea what each item weighs and nor do i really care. It seems that there are too many gram counters out there obsessed with weight of their gear. I have what i need and want and no more. Here is what i have for gear:
Gregory Z65 pack and cover, Eureka Spitfire 1 tent, 35 degree sleep bag, silk bag liner, thermorest 3/4 sleep pad, 2 trekking poles, Jetboil stove and pot combo, katahdin water filter, 2 gatorade sport bottles, 1 pair zip off pants, 1 long base layer top and bottom, 1 running shorts, 1 athletic shirt, 1 vented button up short sleeve and long sleeve, 1 fleece skully, 2 pair smartwool socks and liners, 1 bandanna, 1 full brimmed hat, 1 hooded windbreaker, 1 large multi-use poncho, 1 med and gear repair kit, toiletry kit, cell phone and charger, camera and charger, gps, small notepad and pencil, and guidebook pages and a pocket knife.
Then there is the food. This is what was most difficult for me. Choosing food that would be easy and fast to prepare and eat. What i ended up with was a variety of prepackaged foods that have options of preparing differently. Here is an example of what i will bring for about 4 - 5 days of grub: Tortillas, pepperonies, macaroni and different powdered sauces, tuna/ salmon/ spam packs, garlic, oatmeal, jerky, protein mix, snack bars, trail mix, vitamins, kool-aid, cake frosting, and dried fruit. Water is available while on the trail so i will only carry 2 24oz gatorade bottles to reuse and refill with my water filter. I will resupply in towns as needed every 4-5 days and my wife will send me a maildrop of food roughly every 8-10 days.
The above is by no means an exact and complete listing of only the items i will carry. As needs change i will adjust with them. My food choices will change. The weather will change so i will be able to swap out some clothing for lighter clothes. I do not want to get wrapped up with the details of an itinerary or schedule or only having the bare essentials of a pack. I will be hiking the way i want and the way i feel and on MY time. I will Hike My Own Hike.
This is my Quest.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Quest Status