WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

DBCFlash

Belters Bump and a too long day

Rate this Entry
We hiked up to Belters Bump, a sunny rock outcropping with a great view and stopped for lunch. At this point I was beginning to get tired, and my pack was getting heavy. I knew we had a long way left to go and I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. Must have been hypoglycemia because once my tuna roll up hit my stomach I was ready for more. We hiked right past Belters Campsite and I made a big mistake. My wonderful, fresh spring-water from Limestone Spring was just about gone, but I simply hiked right past the water source at Belters.
Stopped for some trail mix at hang-glider view and looked down at Lime Rock racetrack. I was run down again and the trail mix sugar rush got me fired up, but not for long.
I intended to refill my now bone dry water supply at Sharon Mountain Campsite, but as tired as I was, I must have totally overlooked the signs and blue blazes. Hiked right past and never saw a thing. We had hiked 10 miles and I was toast. I plodded along miserable and thirsty, too embarrassed to beg water from Steve, and too tired to think straight. I finally crossed a brook and refilled my bottle, but even then I had to wait half an hour before the slightly murky water was safe to drink.
I saw on my map that Pine Swamp Shelter was only a mile beyond Sharon Mountain road, but I had no idea what that road looked like.
I was disappointed again and again as I crossed three different, abandoned fire roads, only to realize that there was still a long way to go.
The "real" Sharon Mountain road was a muddy gravel road that is currently in use. I finally found it, waved at a couple of locals in a 4X4 as they roared by and started the final last mile of the day.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments