WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

rugged shark

Packing and Gear for a Thru Hiker

Rate this Entry
Wanted to get this in front of the 2011 hikers - best of luck - here's what you need....
Quote Originally Posted by rugged shark View Post
Hey Kyle,

I'll use your Q to post this equipment list - what to bring - that I think will help all the 2010 hikers. I just completed the trail on 9/20 and thought that a list of items that "made it all the way" would be a great benefit for the class of 2010. I was searching for something like this when I started. Don't go out there with junk or with junk you won't need. I listed all the things in my pack so if it is not here - most thru hikers would agree - you probably don't need it.

In addition to this I would contact the folks at Mountain Crossing (Neels Gap GA) who are experts and right on the trail.

Wear - 1 pair zip off synthetic pants. 1 high sweat absorption shirt (long or short per season). hiking socks. sorry, no underwear and if there is netting in the pants I would cut it out. No cotton.

clothing bag (waterproof)-camp/bed clothes- 1 pair zip off synthetic pants, synthetic long sleeve t - shirt. No matter how cold or dirty your hiking clothes get always keep you bed clothes dry and clean (never hike in them unless very unusual circumstances). Fleece pull over (pillow/bed clothes or garment while hiking). 1 pair Xtra socks. 1 Nylon windbreaker (rain gear). Synthetic long johns and shirt for winter (Mar - May, Aug- Sep)

Cooking - alcohol stove which fits into Titanium pot w/lid. Alcohol - a few tbl spoons per meal. Wind guard for stove. 1" sq pot scubber/sponge. Titanium spork.

Tent - MSR Hubba 1 (or similar). Tyvek ground cover (or painter plastic)

Water - Katadyn water bottle filter. Tincture of Iodine. 16 oz Gatorade bottle. Read "98.6 degrees - the Art of Keeping your Ass Alive" to understand the iodine use/risks. (There are other ways to do the water purification - but this is simple, quick and light). 1 liter collapsable water container for camp (eve's and morning water)

Air Matress - at least 2" thick for use in shelters (use the tent ground cloth under the matress to protect it when in a shelter)

LED Headlamp or Flashlight (small and light but dependable)

Duct tape 10' wrapped around something - use on feet when hot spots start (before blisters form) Duct tape will stay on a couple of days but don't let the skin go bad under it. Also use for repairing things.

Waterproof cover for back pack

Stainless folding knife - 3" or so for various uses

Personal Items should include - vaseline for feet (coat feet when they will get wet or your socks are wet also a fire starter) the lip balm tube will last from town stop to town stop. Butane lighter (see through so you know how much fuel is left). First aid kit including some band aids, asprin, tums (help w/ the runs) and daily multiple vitamins. log book, SPOT, Camera (as you see fit etc.)

sleeping bag in waterproof bag - 20 degree (ratings vary from US to Europe so make sure you can SLEEP at 20 degrees.

Camp shoes - Frisky (brand name) or Croc's

Large zip lock for garbage - stored in waterproof (airtight) food bag

several Extra zip locks for various needs

Wallet is a zip lock in your pocket.

50' bear line - get some at an outfitter so the line does not absorb water (weight)

Food - you can get some good foods right from the store. Knorr side dishes mixed w/ tuna or salmon packages are a staple. there are about 10 varieties. Cheeses, gorp, bagels, peanut butter, candy bars, summer sausage, cold cuts, snack bars are common items. my favorite camp breakfast was Frito's w/ cream cheese. Mountain House meals are great but some folks balk at the expense. Other freeze dried meals for camping. some of these items store less well in summer, but generally I saw them all through the hike.

The last item to buy is the back pack which will be based in size on what you choose above.

OK - some advice -

I would buy the Appalachain pages and break it into sections. Maps didn't appear in my list because most thru hikers don't carry them (paper = heavy).

Hike you own hike! Listen to your body and rest (take a zero) if you need it. Don't get caught up in the parties too much (it gets more expensive as you go north) and try to remain a white blazer - otherwise the whole thing might loose its meaning and you'll drop out. Take care of your feet (dry and clean before parking them in the sleeping bag). Listen to nature - keep your feet and yourself dry if can (duck out of T showers and find shelter when it will rain all day) - wet feet get torn up - make miles when the sun shines. Try to keep yourself comfortable. It's about hiking and making miles - so do some training with a back pack. The hardest part of the trail is - it is VERY LONG. No section will beat you, but if you spend yourself the trail will grind you down. We all agreed while discussing it in Monson ME, the trail will beat you up, but will let you pass. However, if you are determined to "kill" yourself, the trail will oblige. Learn to start a campfire and start one when you want to - dry out clothes, smoke bath, camp comfort. Have fun!! You'll really want some of those Mountain House meals in NH and ME when you body is very spent and your appetite is huge.

The AT is so awesome - but even more so when you become a thru hiker (make it all the way). I hope this helps you and the rest of the Class of 2010 succeed!

Rugged Shark
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What is a light weight pack for craggng?
    Updated 04-15-2011 at 13:22 by kip wing (bORED)