WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

jburgasser

Questions thought of while on the A.T.

Rate this Entry
I have a couple questions for anyone that may have answers:
1. Why do my father-in-law's hands and fingers swell while hiking? After 10 mnutes of resting and the pack off his back he can feel a noticeable improvement. Are his shoulder straps too tight?
2. I have celiac disease which means I can not eat foods with any sort of wheat, barley, malt, or oats. I have been able to find a store online that sells the "Mountain House" style of pre-packaged meals that are certified gluten-free but I would like to move away from that type of dinner if poosible. Any gluten-free hikers out there?

Thanks!
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My hands swels when I walk or hike without trek poles. Your hands are much below your heart and blood flows into them and stays there. Using trek poles has completely eliminated this - as your hands are higher - and working. Good luck.
    Firegazer is right, your father-in law is probably dangling his hands and swinging them too. As we get older fluid swelling in the extremities becomes more pronounced. If not using a hiking stick I keep my thumbs hooked in a loop on my shoulder straps.