WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

inch by inch

Planning 2013 AT hike..looking for other women 50+ to hike with.me..leave late march

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by DonnaVO View Post
HI Inch-by-inch..I have a blog on whiteblaze (re March 2013 hike). I will be 60 this November and plan to retire the end of this year. I, too, have a dream of attempting the AT thru-hike also in March 2013. Let's definitely keep in touch!
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I too am retiring at end of 2013 and plan to thru hike AT in 2013. I am a male and will be 63 then. I plan to ship my gear to GA and then ride my road bike from Greencastle, IN to GA. Then Ill ship my bike home, I have been upgrading my gear the last couple of weeks, trying to go light and tight... Doing a shake down hike in Charles Deem Wilderness of Hoosier National Forrest the weekend of the 13th Supposed to get down in teens with snow. I an currently planning to leave for AT a little eariler then you to miss the crowds in the Smokies. I hiked the AT through their last March and the Shelters were full, Lots of spring break hikers on trail. If you are interested in chatting email [email protected]. Keep on hiking!!! Trail Dad
    HI Inch by Inch...yes, I got your message. Thank you! Hopefully, we can get a few more hikers around our age. We still have a lot of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Dad
    I too am retiring at end of 2013 and plan to thru hike AT in 2013. I am a male and will be 63 then. I plan to ship my gear to GA and then ride my road bike from Greencastle, IN to GA. Then Ill ship my bike home, I have been upgrading my gear the last couple of weeks, trying to go light and tight... Doing a shake down hike in Charles Deem Wilderness of Hoosier National Forrest the weekend of the 13th Supposed to get down in teens with snow. I an currently planning to leave for AT a little eariler then you to miss the crowds in the Smokies. I hiked the AT through their last March and the Shelters were full, Lots of spring break hikers on trail. If you are interested in chatting email [email protected]. Keep on hiking!!! Trail Dad
    Biking jumped off the page as i have thoroughly enjoyed the 8 day BIKE ACROSS KANSAS so mush my Denver boy wants to enjoy it with me 6/9-6/15. Thuis breaks my thru hike into two pieces and both should be delicious, but not pieces of cake...haha. Plan on Springer start 3/15. May the road rise up to meet us.

ps haha lieu of lol hints at my baby boomer head that pushes back on all this abbreviated social networking shortcuts....and besides how much can one "letter" weigh when it is also onomatopoeia!
    Inch by Inch and DonnaVO - I'm also interested in knowing other women hiking the AT. I'm already retired, have hiked bits and pieces with my son, but really look forward to doing more. As much as I love the idea of "hike your own hike", I think it makes sense to look out for each other as we go, if we know and trust someone. I'm planning to do some section hiking in 2012, starting in Georgia and NC. Backpacked and "froze" sleeping in one of the shelters the night before Thanksgiving: note to self - get a warmer sleeping bag and put up the tent, or avoid cold nights on the trail!
    Oma nice to hear from you....enjoy the section hikes. I think all women are concerned about safety. I know I feel more comfrotable with someone else along, even if we just meet up every few miles to check in. I am going to spend the coming months checking out different kinds of nutritional bars and gorps etc..to try and find somethings that are good and filling..Any ideas??..pass them along. any recipes or food tips would be much appreciated...also stove recommendations ..(are all fuels easy to find along the way and how long does a canister last?)..thanks to all...Connie
    I'm looking to do a shake down hike in March 2012 in preparation for a thru hike in 2013. I'd love to hear from others who might want to connect...
    When and where in March??..I might be interested..
    Planning to start around March 10. I got comments from another forum that doing a section hike in GA at that time might not be the greatest idea because so many thru hikers will be setting out around that time. Suggested starting farther up the AT. What do you think?
    Hi ladies. Enjoy your hike this March. Re food, Enertia Trail Foods look pretty healthy - has good carbs and protein. I'm also checking out Trail Design's (?) Caldera cooking system. I agree that hiking with other women is safer...and more enjoyable.
    get wayaway..have you ever hiked in the Smokey Mountains? I am still working and would have to wait until my schedule posts to see if I could possibly go. thanks DonnaVo for info on food? I will need boots for the first 6 weeks while snow is on the ground. any suggestions? (have Merrells for the rest of the hike love them) thats all for now..
    inch by inch - I've only hiked short day stints in the Smokeys - and that was in 1990. I'd be glad to do that part of the trail this spring if you want! I can probably be flexible with dates - March 10 is spring break for me, but I can take vacation other times too. Regarding boots, I have Keens Targhee II waterproof and love them. Took them to the Amazon rainforest in Ecuador and had no problems. DonnaVo - thanks for the food info. PM me if you want!
    Hi, I am planning on thru-hiking around the same time you are. If you may be interested in at least starting at the same time as friends, please let me know. I am retired military and retired police officer. Please read my profile and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.