WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Wise Old Owl

Getting to Sleep While Tenting - Any Suggestions?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
Better life through chemicals...
carry hooch (scotch, whiskey, tequila), tylenol PM works wonders, stay hydrated, we are at the top of the food chain, dont worry about critters or bears.
I am concerned as you are advocating alcohol with Tylenol, because of reports that acetaminophen in quantity or long term use causes liver injury. I have often wondered when watching the movie "Fugitive" that they were portraying Acetaminophen. Later some information or rumor was spread that this product kills more people than alcohol. When someone tells me they use Tylenol Pm to help them sleep. The facts are about 26,000 people a year are hospitalized from adverse reactions to the drug. And that almost 500 people annually in the US alone die from it! Please do not consider Tylenol PM a sleep medication.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
keep in mind alcohol is a timulant, and although it may help you fall asleep, it may be difficult to stay asleep.
The answer to the question is simple. Despite objections, majority of studies point out that alcohol is a depressant. Ethanol, the main alcohol component found in wines, beer, liquors, and other alcoholic beverages, is classified as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant – a substance that can slow down brain activity. In fact, alcohol is considered the most widely used and the most widely abused depressant. Its desired effect – relaxation or the calming down of nerves and anxiety – can be experienced when used responsibly. When abused, drinking may contribute to depression, alcoholism and other mental disorders and physical diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Melatonin 1 or 2 mg . Melatonin was what a doctor recommend for me to use for my sleep problems since prescription sleep aids were having some unpleasant side affects. Try this, ask your doctor first, like anything else. More miles and longer trips always works good too. It's all about gettingyour bio clock set to trail time
Good post, Here is what works for me (I feel I have answered this before) but my answer is changing this year... In the past I have abused alcohol to get to sleep- You know you are in trouble if you need alcohol to get to sleep and caffeine to get up. One can tell from my old late night ranting posts. Here is what I know from my experience....

1. Earplugs and blinders are least effective methods for sleep. Do not sleep near noisy other people.
2. Using a reminder alarm to get a regular pattern at night and waking is important.
3. Comfort is key. music can reduce stress.
4. A small night cap may help but warm Nido, Melatonin, Benadryl, Gabatrol would be better.
5. On bad nights I use a old memory of "Flight of the Navigator" and think about flying - knocks me out everytime.

Gabatrol can help you sleep better. When you reduce stress and anxiety, its easier for your mind to let go and drift into deep, restful sleep. Plus its a safe, healthy alternative.
Tags: 1'", 1ˤˢ Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized