WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Wise Old Owl

Knife or no knife

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
Knifes as a cutting tools is an extremely personal decision based on the user, the situation and level of skill. No one should impress upon you what is “best.” Best is a relative term. There are countless varieties and uses. Knives are categorized into fixed or folding, full, partial or hidden tang, serrated or plain edge, stainless or carbon steel, etc. Entire volumes of books can be written about blade selection. All I will recommend is buying the best you can afford and buying quality. You will pay for it either way, at the store or in the field. When you buy quality, you will only cry once! Some believe the farther you travel from situation, the bigger your knives should be. Example, a pocket knife in the office, a belt knife at all times, a full-size axe or machete for extended living in the wild. Depending on the size of your kit (pocket, belt, pack, car or home), your knife needs can vary. No 10 essentials kit should be without a knife or variety of cutting tools. Remember, one is none, two is one and three is in case you lose both of the first two. In my personal opinion, a knife is the first item you must add to your 10 essentials. Stainless is great for cutting food and keeping clean – cutting wood, survival and having a quality tool that does not go dull is not stainless, its a much stronger steel. Start with a light Leatherman , over time I have distanced myself from Swiss, there are better options. Like wooden matches - a Bic lighter is a better option. So is a better carbon steel knife of your choice.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized