WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Deb Watson

Hiking - Painting - Promoting the Trail

Rate this Entry
I'm an artist (a painter) and my next series will be of hikers and hiking places in the Eastern United States, especially the Appalachian trail.

I'm joining hiking groups, planning day trips and getting some hiking gear. I'll hike, photograph and paint. I've been checking out other people's photos and looking for scenic places to go.

It's going to be a great year. I'm looking forward to hiking and meeting lots of interesting people. I'll be posting here in my journal and on my blog - www.debwatson.org and hope it helps promote the trail and hiking.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boys.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	18763This is an oil painting of two of my grandsons at Acadia, Maine.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Awesome! I too am an artist planning to do a few weeks on the trail with my son. Hoping to do lots of color sketches along the way. The most interesting ones will get turned into studio paintings. If you get time check out my work at www.spencermeagher.com
    I loved your work, Spencer! Where are you planning to hike? I'm looking at a photo workshop in Virginia and trying to plan the year now so I can get the best season for photos. I don't have much hiking gear, but I guess I'll learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by smeagher61
    Awesome! I too am an artist planning to do a few weeks on the trail with my son. Hoping to do lots of color sketches along the way. The most interesting ones will get turned into studio paintings. If you get time check out my work at www.spencermeagher.com
    I loved your work, Spencer! Where are you planning to hike? I'm looking at a photo workshop in Virginia and trying to plan the year now so I can get the best season for photos. I don't have much hiking gear, but I guess I'll learn.My web site is www.debwatson.org

I'll either start with my son at Springer Mountain or catch up with him perhaps in North Carolina. He wants to leave on his 25th birthday in early March. However, my daughter is due to deliver her second child two weeks later. Depending on how things come together will determine the portion I hike.

Do you know of any other artists on white blaze? I'm trying to network with them. I find it is the best way to grow and promote yourself as an artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by smeagher61
    I'll either start with my son at Springer Mountain or catch up with him perhaps in North Carolina. He wants to leave on his 25th birthday in early March. However, my daughter is due to deliver her second child two weeks later. Depending on how things come together will determine the portion I hike.

Do you know of any other artists on white blaze? I'm trying to network with them. I find it is the best way to grow and promote yourself as an artist.
    I don't any other artist yet, but if I can't find any, I'll recruit some! I definately agree that networking will get us ahead in the promotion department. I'm planning to schedule exhibits of work in the couple years, as I get stuff finished. I'm pretty good at marketing and promoting and it could benefit the trail, as well as us artists. I love win win propositions. We'll work together and let each other know if we get more artists on board? If I get some exhibits organized and we sell work, other artists will show up, I'm sure.
    Deb
    I've been looking around and inquiring on white blaze but so far you are the only artist activity I can find. I find it hard to believe we are the first ones to have this idea. So far I've got four paintings done of the AT. It is amazing how different the colors are from what I am used to painting. Last fall I went to northern Minnesota to a plein air event. I discovered I had to alter my palette up there to capture the atmosphere and colors. That is one of the neat things about being an artist. Seeing things most people don't even notice.