WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

KingGator and Sons

Appalachian Trail Journal Entry #5 – Guest Book/Comments

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	544854_130487317102527_1268862724_n.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	19754

Now, ever since I began creating online journals and sites leading into my decision to hiking the Appalachian Trail with my son, I have had a variety of replies. With that being said, I am going to go over a few of them and respond the only way I know how....with the truth. In terms of my family or friends, most of them does not even know yet, so they haven't had much of a chance to say anything. My wife surprisingly seems pretty supportive of this journey. She may just want rid of me for ½ the year though...lol

Now, most of the responses that I have gotten from thru-hikers and people in the community have been helpful, supportive, positive, and nice. Most of the responses make me proud to have joined this community. However, there have been a few that have really pissed me off or irritated me. Now, don't get me wrong, I want honesty, but I am not interested at all with ignorance or just plain **** talk. I have been very honest going in about my experience, health, and entire situation. Many of you have honestly tried to give me the best advice possible. To the people that have given advice on gear, etc.., I wanna truly say thank you.

Some of you however have been very rude and just flat out ******** however. There have been people that have said that I cannot do it because of my weight. There are people that have spoke of my finances. There are people that actually have said some pretty negative and disgusting things. I am going to provide an example or two of some of these things. Let me make this clear...Real advice should be advise that keeps me on the trail, not discourages me to get off OR never go on the trail.

Let's start with rude response #1. A guy by the name of Jerry on the Trail Forums wrote the following in response to me saying that I am hoping that my health will improve from the trail. I am 6'0-265 and I was saying that this trail is definitely something that I believe will get me in shape. I have made it very clear that losing weight and quitting smoking is a HUGE PLUS about this to me. I do believe that I can do it on the trail. Anyways, here is his comment...

JERRY: "In all honesty; take a year & lose weight; do some practice hikes ; & get yourself in better shape. I don't wish to be mean but think of your children please. Cant fathom the effect on them seeing a parent drop dead of a heart attack. (I'm assuming they're around 10 or less). Please give this a 2nd thought. A Friend"

Now, how ******in rude is this? Really bro? People have hiked this thing BLIND and with Cancer and we are gonna go this far? Here is MY response to him...

KING: "Now, I am in the process of writing up a response to the first four comments, but this latest comment has me ready to come with a response to him immediately. Now, let me say this the best way I can because I TRULY believe that you are trying to look out for me and my boys. My boys are 11 and 13 by the way. Now, my weight is NOT to the point where a heart attack is a problem. I train in mixed martial arts and can handle a little physical stress. I am 265lbs, but a very thick boned 6'0 tall man. My weight is large, but not too large to walk. I walk at amusement parks each and every week, sometimes 2-3 times per week. I know that amusement parks do not have mountains, but that's not the point. Walking is something I can handle. I appreciate your attempted help, but I do question you as to why you think 6'0 265 is "heart attack" type of size? I understand that being in shape is important, but you made a rather sizable leap with my death in front of my children....lol. To me, that was just a little harsh. With all of this said, I will continue towards my journey and I do APPRECIATE all advice, including your's Jerry."

Now, the following post I am going to show you is from STEALTHBLEW. He was responding to the fact that I get food-stamps at home and intend on having my wife mail me food drops through the trip. Keep in mind, I am going to have my/her kids with me...Here is his comment....

STEALTHBLEW: "One last item I would like to mention would be that there is nothing wrong with accepting food stamps when times are tough for you and your family, but to use them to plan a vacation? In all reality, many hikers will offer you support when they lean of your dire needs. But once again, pan handling via the US Government (using food stamps for vacation expenses) and local hiking community to supplement your needs comes across as a questionable way to address your family’s needs at this point in time."

Are you kidding me? *** does that have to do with the hike? This is not a situation where anyone gives a **** about your political agenda...lol....

Now, here is another message from “FLOATER” on the board...

FLOATER: "Guess Im not politically correct either. Perhaps you should use the next 6 months working several jobs and getting off food stamps.That will mean a lot more for your kids than a hike. The trail will always be waiting after you get off the dole"

Here is my response to BOTH of these politically driven ********...

KING: "Do not use my hike to insert your conservative political beliefs....Trust me, in terms of HOME BILL finances, everything is 100% ok...we have two different cultural ideas of life. You may be against government assistance, but I am not...Trust me, as much money as government uses towards killing civilians, I do not in ANY WAY feel bad about getting what I can from them as well...I am a full-time student as well as a man that is running a business. I apppreciate some of the advice, but some of it is just ridiculous....Floater, I take my kids to DISNEY WORLD EVERY WEEK, so your idea that "getting off of food stamps" would be more important for them than a hike is insane. Another thing Conservatives... If you got such a big problem with people getting money from the government, then stop paying taxes and MOVE. I have never seen a bigger group of cry babies in my life (conservatives). You seem to have a problem with government assistance, but are ok with all of the defense budget that your government uses to create FALSE FLAG events to pass agendas....Don't you think that your taxes are wasted on a lot WORSE things in the world than my vacation? (BTW: Your taxes are not supporting my vacation any more than they would be if I used those stamps at home) I have had mostly good vibes from the hiking community, but hearing this from you two are my first bad ones. Now, in terms of the weight, I understand...that is legitimate advice. However, judging how I plan to FUND the eating portion of this trip is truly political. Bush is GONE! Get over it! He is not coming back! Focus on your country's false flag operations to take your guns, not on my funding of my hike since you wanna get so political... In closing....PAY YOUR TAXES"

Now, I am writing this particular blog to shed some light on some of what I have been dealing with within the community. I had so many good experiences to start off, I didn't expect any negative and that's the truth. It makes me kind of sick to be honest. The truth is that I will NOT let these people stop me. You have to be STRONG to do this trail and the truth is, if I let a couple of people with an internet political agenda stop me from achieving greatness, I wouldn't have been strong enough to finish it anyway.

To everyone being positive and supportive...thank you. I really appreciate the support from those people.

KING

Comments