WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

KingGator and Sons

N2TW: Appalachian Trail Episode #4 (Introducing... the Kids!)

Rate this Entry

Comments

I hope you have a good hike. As far as being in shape just start walking. Forget about distance, start with hour a day and increase. I have found that people starting get to concerned about the distance. If you can hike 6-8 hours a day the distance will come. I have run into several familys over the years the youngest was with a 7yo. So your kids will do fine. As some have told you start slow. Some thing to remember is "You can never, never walk up hill to slow". "Do not make any decisions walking up hill" Both these are from Warren Doyal 17 time thru-hiker. Again have fun, I look forward to following you.
    A great family adventure, good luck, have fun don't take it too seriously, one man and two boys will become three men..Aquone Hostel
    Yea man! We've been following your journal entries and I'm glad you are not letting all the negatives get in your way. Keep on keeping on and as much as possible get out and test your gear. You can read the books, follow the posts and ask the questions but you won't know for sure until you're in the field. Much of the hiking industry is built around dudes going out with some piece of gear and saying this works this doesn't and then they built some new cool thing. Get out there and test what you've bought!
    Your feet! Whatever you do, try your best to prevent blisters! Friction/Heat and moisture will crush your feet. It does not matter how tough you are mentally a few well placed blisters will stop your hike in it's tracks! Mole skin or blister pads to help prevent.
    Being on a fixed budget is understandable, but if you spend big on anything spend it on your feet! The right shoes, properly fitted and broken in will make a world of difference. The kids too. You don't want to end up having to haul them out because they have a blister the size of a golf ball on the bottom of their feet that bleeds and oozes the nasty. Plus they take weeks to heal.
    Rockfish Gap Outfitters is located in VA 2 miles off the A.T. in Waynesboro. If you can make it us, you can finish. I'll buy a beer and the kids will get a coke or two. Just ask for Jack.
    Good luck and go easy.