WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Teacher & Snacktime

It's Difficult to Not Be Envious...

Rate this Entry
March 2 marked the official training push for Snacktime and myself. We've committed to a minimum of 3 miles of hiking daily, with increasing pack weights, to prepare ourselves for our first section hike.

There are mountains of gear and food (certainly too much) piled up on the kitchen table awaiting organization. The itineraries and maps need to be printed and waterproofed. The tent and gear need to be sealed and in some cases treated against ticks, and the final water purification decision needs to be made. We are very close to being ready to go.

Despite the builiding excitement of the impending adventure I can't help but feel a little down. I check the posts and journals daily, and am watching hikers head off to Springer one after another. I'm envious; I want to be joining them, and I can't help but feel I'm being left behind. With each new "On My Way" or "The Adventure Starts Tomorrow" I feel more like a little kid with her face pressed against the window, sadly waving goodbye.

Ed and I are section-hiking, not thru-hiking, and it will be a wonderful (and educational) adventure for both of us, I'm sure. It's more ambitious than any field trip we've undertaken thus far. This trip, and the two others planned for shortly after, will certainly test the limit of our physical abilities, and give us a real idea of what the Appalachian Trail is all about. We will likely get a sampling of all that can be expected in a thru-hike: good and bad weather, easy and tough trails, water crossings, wildlife, shelters, camping, hostels, trail magic & angels, meeting and making friends with other hikers. Logically, I have nothing more to ask for.

Still, for everyone headed to Springer this year, I sincerely hope you have a safe and wonderful trip....and I wish I were going with you.

Updated 03-05-2013 at 18:54 by Teacher & Snacktime

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments