WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Sunshine Tami Jo

Day 16

Rate this Entry
Trail Day: 16
Date: 2013-04-09
Start Location: Dick’s Creek
Camping Location: Bly Gap
Today’s Miles: 9
Cumulative Miles: 78.6

I only did 6.4 miles yesterday. I had every intention of hiking further, but I got “stuck” in Hiawassi. First I went to the grocery store, where I bought Tessa some food and lunch for me: fried chicken and mac & cheese. So yummy! And oh-so-bad for me! I did have fresh fruit too, though. Then I went to the post office to see if there was anything there. Nothing. L Oh well. Next I went in search of shorts. I didn’t bring any because I expected the cold weather to hang on a bit longer, but these past couple of days have been so warm that I’ve been rather uncomfortable. Finally, just as I was donning my backpack to head back to the trail, some fellow hikers I’d met the day before came upon me and invited me to join them for a beer. My cell phone had virtually no charge, so I thought, “I’ll just have a couple of beers and charge my phone, then head back to the trail.” Well, one beer turned into three plus an all-you-can-eat buffet, so I shared one of the beds with the only other female in the group while the fellows used the other bed and the floor. I crept out of there quietly at 6:00 A.M., and it took me about an hour to get back to the trail. I’ve been hiking about 4 hours- not getting far though! I’ve stopped numerous times to take pictures, play with Tessa, chase a chipmunk, enjoy a view, and baby my right leg. I’m in no hurry today. I intend to hike at least seven more miles to Muskrat Creek Shelter, which will put me in North Carolina, my first state-line crossing. Yay! I’m currently at Plumorchard Gap shelter having my break but I’m out of here in just a few minutes. I had some protein mix, and Tessa’s had kibble mixed with peanut butter. We’re fed and hydrated. Now for Muskrat Creek and North Carolina!
More later…
P.S. enjoyed a brief visit with Shrek and Talker, Stillmatt, Rambo and Jimmy. (Rolling Russ, Rambo, Rup, & Dutch were the folks I stayed with last night. Watched Sly Fox make a wooden spoon.)
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments