WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Sunshine Tami Jo

Day 18

Rate this Entry
Trail Day: 18
Date: 2013-04-11
Start Location: Standing Indian
Camping Location: Long Branch Shelter
Today’s Miles: 15.7
Cumulative Miles: 102

Today was a BIG day! I passed 100 miles, I conquered Albert Mountain (quite the challenge), and I hiked almost 16 miles! What’s more, I feel great! I think I’ve jumped a big hurdle. I’m taking Aleve on a regular basis (2x / day), wearing a brace on my knee, taking my anti-inflammatory medicine daily, and taking breaks when my body tells me to. I’m conscious to stay fueled and hydrated and, if today is any indication, my efforts are paying off. I’m feeling pretty darned strong.
Tessa was a champ today. We really hiked some challenging miles. Thankfully, they were interspersed by some delightfully gentle miles. She hung with me through it all, but as soon as we came to camp she was ready for bed! I had to wash her muddy feet first, because she was filthy. We spent the final couple of miles hiking in the rain, and by day’s end she was tired and dirty. I’m so proud of the way she’s handling herself. She keeps going when I need her to, but when our workout is done she’s out in a flash! She’s my little hero, my Wonder Dog, my best trail friend. I can’t imagine doing this without her.
Tomorrow I head into Franklin, N.C. for some much-needed tasks: food resupply, laundry, and a nice long, hot shower! I can hardly wait! I did bathe yesterday, in an ice-cold mountain stream; I even washed my hair. It felt marvelous. I saw where my fellow hikers were getting water and I just went upstream a bit, and I had the area to myself. I took advantage of it and I am so glad I did. It felt great to climb into my hammock with a clean body.
Well, I’m exhausted. I was the first one up this morning, and I’m the last to head to bed. I’m beat, but also have a very satisfying sense of accomplishment in my heart. I worked hard today
I have much to tell you, and I’ll use my quiet time in Franklin to do so…after my nice hot shower, hot meal, laundry, etc…
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments