WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View RSS Feed

Siestita

Packing A Fishing Pole

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
Taking one rest day per week, either in town on along the trail, is not unusual. But "serious fishing" and "making trail miles" are different activities. Both are time intensive. Also, because much of it has deliberately been routed "up high", the AT is frequently a bit removed from streams and lakes. Fortunately though for us fishing enthusiasts, thru hiking, and AT section hiking are not the only means of enjoyably backpacking.

Over the years I've made many "short miles" multi-night back country fishing trips here in Kentucky. Initially I used, and quickly broke, several light weight but fllimsy packable rods. So, these days I take with me, depending upon my plans for a particular trip, either:

(1) a relatively rugged (think Ugly Stik), short (perhaps four or five foot) fiberglass spinning rod, carried in one of my hands. This means hiking without trekking poles, and also being careful not to leave the rod behind at rest breaks. OR

(2) A small plastic bottle or detergent cap with six pound test tied to it and wound around it. Fish don't care whether they are caught using such hand lines or brought in with a rod. Many people fish effectively with hand lines in Mexico and Central America. It helps if, along with some small bobbers and hooks, you also carry some live bait with you. For me at least, meal worms serve that purpose well, remaining alive on the trail for more days than other forms of live bait would. OR

(3) No fishing gear at all, but just that book that you mentioned...and maybe some matches so that I can play with fire.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized